using polymorphic associations with acts_as_list

This is what I have

class Photo < ActiveRecord::Base    belongs_to :image, :polymorphic => true    acts_as_list :scope => image end

class Place < ActiveRecord::Base    has_many :photos, :as => :image end

class Child < ActiveRecord::Base    has_many :photos, :as => :image end

I want to be able to reorder the images. What I need is for the position of the photos to be set within the scope of the parent (ie. either the place or child).

But when I tried it out, it is taking the "image_id" into account, but not the "image_type". This causes a problem when a child and a place have the same ID.

Is there a way to set the scope differently? Is it possible to set the scope to two individual columns?

This is what I tried and failed:    acts_as_list :scope => "#{self.image_id}_#{self.image_type}"    acts_as_list :scope => "#{self.image_id}_#{self.image_type}".to_sym    acts_as_list :scope => :image_id and :image_type

Where am I going wrong?

If this is not possible, then I think I'll create a seperate column that combines the "image_id" and "image_type" columns into a single column and point the scope to that, but I was hoping there was a better and more elegant method and changing the DB for that.

Thank you for your help. Arpan

PS: I tried posting this via Google groups web interface, but both times it hasn't appeared yet. Anyone know what could be wrong. Thanks.

Minor correction:

This   > acts_as_list :scope => image should be     acts_as_list :scope => :image

This has been addressed on the list. One solution posted is the following:

acts_as_list :scope => ‘image_id=#{image_id} and imge_type=#{quote image_type}’

Sean, could you explain how that works.

Do you have a link to the solution posted earlier. I tried searching, using acts_as_list and scope, but could not find a solution.

I tried what you said, and it does not work. It says:     undefined local variable or method `image_id' for Photo:Class

Appreciate your help.

Hi Arpan,

Here’s the original post: http://lists.rubyonrails.org/pipermail/rails/2006-May/042361.html

I think you may want to watch how your referring to the images class. To keep it in the idiom of rails polymorpic associations you might want to call it imageable or something. Anyway, with respect to your error I would just make sure you are doing everything according to what rails expects for polymorpic assocations. See the wiki examples maybe. Plus I had a typo in my above example imge_type should be image_type… Good luck!

Sean

Thanks Sean, That works now

Although I'm not exactly sure what it is doing. I'll read up a little bit more on it. If you could point me in the right direction for more info on how this works, I'd welcome it. I'm assuming the best place would be to go through the rails source related to acts_as_list?

Regarding image, yes I need to rename it to imageable. I'll do that soon. Right now, I just needed to correct this bug in my code. Once everything is working correctly, I'll work on cleaning it up more.

Thanks again.

Hi Arpan,

I happened to be working in exactly this problem yesterday when you posted you message to the list, so I’ve had to work it out too. I found that the longer :scope argments I gave you didn’t work for me. Here’s the model code that I now have working:

class Link < ActiveRecord::Base belongs_to :linkable, :polymorphic => true acts_as_list :scope => ‘linkable_id’ end

class Artist < ActiveRecord::Base has_many :links, :as => :linkable end

As you can see, it works just using the symbol :linkable instead of the sql fragment. Let me know if you have any questions about this. In terms of how it works, you would have to read the rails source to find that out exactly.

Take care, Sean

class Link < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :linkable, :polymorphic => true   acts_as_list :scope => 'linkable_id' end

Sean I tried that too, but it did not work properly for me. When scope is set to the 'linkable_id', it only works with the ID and does not take the linkable_type into consideration, causing a clash between different types, when they have the same ID. Atleast that is what happend to me. Verify whether it is working properly with the different types before you use it.

This is the exact line that worked for me:   acts_as_list :scope => 'image_id=#{image_id} and image_type=#{quote image_type}'

Arpan