acts_as_attachment or similar to upload mp3's ?

All of the examples I have found for acts_as_attachment have been for images and thumbnails. I have not found alot of good documentation on this. The techno weenie site has some documentation but it's not complete. I was not really able to figure out image uploads completely until I used the example in the Rails cookbook. I am not finding good examples for mp3 uploads and am considering trying to do it in a more primitive way.

You don't need to be uploading images to use acts_as_attachment. I'm
using it to upload any type of file right out of the box and I don't
have RMagik installed.

-Michael http://javathehutt.blogspot.com

What do you set :content_type to be ? I may try it, I was affraid I would code up a bunch of stuff only to find myself stumped on why it wasn't working. Other than content_type I'm not sure what else might be different ?

Are you developing on unix or windows ? I am also concerned with problems on windows which is probably not as well supported for new stuff. I develop my stuff on windows and then upload to a unix server. There is some messages that say this acts_as is under heavy dev and I had a problem with the thumbnail part of the image upload not working so I had to write some of my own custom code for that. If I get stuck with a problem, I haven't got alot of documentation resources to figure it out and I want to get this done.

What do you set :content_type to be ? I may try it, I was affraid I would code up a bunch of stuff only to find myself stumped on why it wasn't working. Other than content_type I'm not sure what else might be different ?

The content_type option is only for validations to restrict what's allowed. You can leave it empty, or set it to the various mp3 content types if you like.

Are you developing on unix or windows ? I am also concerned with problems on windows which is probably not as well supported for new stuff. I develop my stuff on windows and then upload to a unix server. There is some messages that say this acts_as is under heavy dev and I had a problem with the thumbnail part of the image upload not working so I had to write some of my own custom code for that. If I get stuck with a problem, I haven't got alot of documentation resources to figure it out and I want to get this done.

The plugin is not new by any means. Its roots began with Mephisto about a year ago, and I've personally used it in several projects in a variety of uses. It contains a lot of unit tests to cover its functionality. Course, it's not perfect, so tested patches are welcome.

I recently completed a major refactoring called attachment_fu, which is what I use now in all my projects. It works nearly the same way, but is more flexible with processors/backends. You can now save attachments to s3 (sort of experimental still), or write your own custom backend to process MP3 info data (as an example).

Cheers,

> You can now save > attachments to s3 (sort of experimental still),

Ha, since two weeks there is a 'extend acts_as_attachment to serve S3 backed files' on my todo list :slight_smile:

Hopefully I will get to play with your code this week and give you some feedback.

Regards, Jonathan

It's not my code actually, I haven't done much more than run the remote tests against ParkPlace :slight_smile: But yes, feedback/patches are more than welcome :slight_smile:

I've been using it in several apps and once we got a few things straightened, it's been working great.

It's a nice convenience.

Hey, thanks. Here is a question. After I finish this stuff I am working on I may try to do work on another site that is partly finished. A friend of mine may want to upload records as a spreadsheet instead of through an upload form. I may want to make it flexible to work both ways however. If she uploads using a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet would have file names in one column, but I would actually upload the files to a directory and the load the spreadsheet. I'm guessing if I want to still use acts_as_attachment that it may complicate things. Possibly I would have a base class and the one parent class for attachement and another for spreadsheet upload. I'm not sure, but that may all be farther down the road.

Hey, thanks. Here is a question. After I finish this stuff I am working on I may try to do work on another site that is partly finished. A friend of mine may want to upload records as a spreadsheet instead of through an upload form. I may want to make it flexible to work both ways however. If she uploads using a spreadsheet. The spreadsheet would have file names in one column, but I would actually upload the files to a directory and the load the spreadsheet. I'm guessing if I want to still use acts_as_attachment that it may complicate things. Possibly I would have a base class and the one parent class for attachement and another for spreadsheet upload. I'm not sure, but that may all be farther down the road.

The plugin is for storing attachments. It sounds like you just want to read and throw the spreadsheet away.

Hi Rick,

It's sort of like this. The spreadsheet would have the file name of a jewlry item jpeg like a bracelette as well as other information. I would actually upload the image jpegs for the bracelettes to a directory using ftp or similar. The program would then build the records from the spreadsheet and figure out which jpeg goes with which record using the filename field However, it might mean there is no other way to enter jewlry items using forms. Ideally it might be nice to be able to enter the jewlry records both ways, from a spreadsheet/ ftp load or the usual way. This is not my current project, but I may end up working on it sometime soon.