ActiveResource Question

I was just browsing through the ActiveResource code and I wonder why the use of .xml throughout on the URLs? Wouldn't it make more sense to just have ActiveResource set the content type to application/xml and then use paths without the extensions?

Sincerely, Anthony Eden

I was just browsing through the ActiveResource code and I wonder why the use of .xml throughout on the URLs? Wouldn't it make more sense to just have ActiveResource set the content type to application/xml and then use paths without the extensions?

In general, I think we're moving away from the idea of using the Accept header as the primary way of determining the content type. The extension makes a lot of things simpler. Including page caching, scanning logs (you can easily tell HTML requests apart from XML ones), and off-hand exploration (curl http://example.com/people.xml).

So given that direction, I want to make sure that Active Resource is encouraging that behavior.

Anthony Eden wrote:

I believe it was David in his presentation "Discovering a World of Resources on Rails", that made a good point about the use of extensions that put any concerns I initially had to rest. It went something like, xml is a good extension because it represents the actual content vs. an extension like php, asp, etc. which represent which scripting language was used on the server side.

It still seems wrong to me, since the resource is the same, just a different representation of it, and thus it would seem that they should be represented by the same URI.

If the decision has already been made then so be it, I can live with it, but I still question it.

Sincerely, Anthony Eden

It still seems wrong to me, since the resource is the same, just a different representation of it, and thus it would seem that they should be represented by the same URI.

We are indeed bending the notion of a resource. But I think the trade-offs make it worth it.