ActiveRecord migrations in a single transaction?

Is it possible to make Migrations occur in a single transaction, so that if the rake fails, it doesn't leave the database in a broken state, with half the changes made, and the other half incomplete?

Obviously, this depends on the database itself supporting transactions, but I'm using Postgres.

Stuart Grimshaw wrote:

Is it possible to make Migrations occur in a single transaction, so that if the rake fails, it doesn't leave the database in a broken state, with half the changes made, and the other half incomplete?

Obviously, this depends on the database itself supporting transactions, but I'm using Postgres.

>

I wrap my migrations in a transaction using postgresql, and it seems to work fine.

Me too.

But you need a database backend that will transact DDL changes. Not all do. Postgres for sure does, and now I don't have any half-made transactions anymore.

I can give you more details if needed.

Bye,

Guy.

Stuart Grimshaw wrote:

The easiest way for you is to use transactional_migrations plugin. Thus you won't need to put explicit BEGIN and COMMIT DDL statements in migrations.

http://www.redhillconsulting.com.au/rails_plugins.html#transactional_migrations

Hello: You wrote in another thread, now outdated, about a way for getting decimal support for ActiveRecord, in version 1.1.6. Is there a way of having that code? Thanks in advance.

Thanks Sava, this is what I went for in the end ...