ActiveRecord column with reserved name 'class'

I have a legacy database with a column named 'class' which is causing Rails problems. Renaming the column isn't an option and the workarounds I've seen so far don't suit.

I'm running rails 2.0.2 and an example of the error thrown looks like this... undefined method `generated_methods' for "ADD":String

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/attribute_methods.rb:188:in `method_missing'

(The value returned in the 'class' column is 'ADD' in this case.

Can anyone suggest a nice, neat, dry, satisfying solution?

I have a legacy database with a column named 'class' which is causing Rails problems. Renaming the column isn't an option and the
workarounds I've seen so far don't suit.

I'm running rails 2.0.2 and an example of the error thrown looks like this... undefined method `generated_methods' for "ADD":String

c:/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/activerecord-2.0.2/lib/active_record/ attribute_methods.rb:188:in `method_missing'

How about class MyTable < AR:Base    class << self      def instance_method_already_implemented?(method_name)        return true if method_name == 'class'        super      end    end end

If I'm reading things right, that will stop AR from generating a class
method to read your attribute. You can still get at it via foo[:class]
(or define you own method returning read_attribute(:class)

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

How about class MyTable < AR:Base    class << self      def instance_method_already_implemented?(method_name)        return true if method_name == 'class'        super      end    end end

If I'm reading things right, that will stop AR from generating a class method to read your attribute. You can still get at it via foo[:class] (or define you own method returning read_attribute(:class)

You're absolutely right and that'll ding dang do for me very nicely thanks, Fred! I no longer have errors in all the places they were showing before.

Just as a note to anyone else reading this post, you might need to restart script/console rather than issue a reload! command after implementing this fix.

Derek

The same thing worked for me as well. GORGEOUS!! AHHHHHHH!! I want to go run around my office now.

Thank you so much for the help!! AWESOME!