Active Support Ruby 1.9 bug?

Ruby 1.9 does not work with rails. My ruby1.9 cannot work with rails and produces an error message about == and >= so why not remove these ?

In activesupport/lib/active_support module ActiveSupport is the following

module ActiveSupport   if defined? ::BasicObject     class BasicObject < ::BasicObject       undef_method :==       undef_method :equal?

# Let ActiveSupport::BasicObject at least raise exceptions.       def raise(*args)         ::Object.send(:raise, *args)       end     end   else     require 'blankslate'     BasicObject = BlankSlate   end end

For a start the method as equal? means a.object_id == b.object_id Getting rid of it seems a mistake Further the Object.eql? and Object.== are both Object.equal? and the former two are often redefined at children of object.

Secondly,Within

if defined? ::BasicObject

::BasicObject seems to be an attempt to refers to constant in Object::BasicObject because                if ActiveSupport::BasicObject

does not seem intelligent. The person who is altering the same module already knows whether a constant called ::BasicObject is defined at this same lexical level as the module as ActiveSupport.

Using explicit namespace would avoid my confusion.

Are trying to decide whether ActiveSupport::BasicObject is already defined?

I presume not.

So assuming that we are trying to discover whether there is a constant called ::BasicSupport which refers to an instance of the class as BasicObject, which is only within ruby 1.9 and not 1.8

From outside of a class and within a module the method as      self.ancestor needs to be used so to discover constants within are inside of the scope of the object as Object, such as Object::BasicObject , and to discover constants within are inside of the scope of the object as BasicObject, such as BasicObject::BasicObject the method as       Object.ancestors is required.

When we do this

class ActiveSupport::BasicObject < ::BasicObject      end

we can find a constant called BasicObject with the top level scope of Object, which is Object::BasicObject because this is referenced within the definition of a class and this *will* check the top-level scope without having to make an explicit call to self.ancestors, even though this class definition is made within a module.

So if the constant as Object::BasicOject is a constant which refers to an object which is an instance of the class as BasicObject we have bypassed the class as Object Is this correct? Where have the comparable methods gone? Are those mixed in at the level of BasicObject. I don't know the answer at present.

What do you think? Am I wrong? I am new to ruby.

David Roderick

Ruby 1.9 does not work with rails. My ruby1.9 cannot work with rails and produces an error message about == and >= so why not remove these ?

an error? what error :slight_smile:

module ActiveSupport if defined? ::BasicObject    class BasicObject < ::BasicObject      undef_method :==      undef_method :equal?

# Let ActiveSupport::BasicObject at least raise exceptions.      def raise(*args)        ::Object.send(:raise, *args)      end    end else    require 'blankslate'    BasicObject = BlankSlate end end

For a start the method as equal? means a.object_id == b.object_id Getting rid of it seems a mistake Further the Object.eql? and Object.== are both Object.equal? and the former two are often redefined at children of object.

The intent of things like BasicObject is for use as proxies. You want almost everything undefined on these, because you almost always want to forward things like == onto the proxy target. In pseudo code what this is doing is 'if ruby has a BasicObject class, then define ActiveSupport::BasicObject to be like it, if not use blank slate'. Applications (and rails itself) can then use ActiveSupport::BasicObject without having to worry about whether ruby's BasicObject exists or not. ruby 1.9 is a shifting target so stuff may have broken.

Fred

module ActiveSupport if defined? ::BasicObject

if Object::BasicObject We are looking for a constant in scope of object. Is this correct? It seems to me that BasicObject::Object is the correct order. I have not ruby1.9 at the moment to check this.