ActionMailer with Mail gem - It is here

So, I have integrated edge ActionMailer with the Mail gem, removing TMail in the process.

Currently, ActionMailer is running with 131 tests, 309 assertions, 0 failures, 0 errors

This is using ActionMailer from http://github.com/mikel/rails as well as the Mail gem version 1.2.8

But mail is throwing a few warnings in the process and I would love more eyes on it. I’ve done it up to here, but now I need some sanity checks :slight_smile:

To replicate:

sudo gem install mail

( should install at least Mail 1.2.8 )

git clone git://github.com/mikel/rails.git

cd rails/actionmailer

rake test

You should get 0 errors, 0 failures.

Please let me know what you get and patches welcome!!!

Which interpreters?

-- Chad

Mail will run on Ruby 1.8.6, 1.8.7 and 1.9.1 with no spec failures

My ActionMailer fork with Mail runs without error on 1.8.7.

Currently we have a few failures for ActionMailer + Mail on 1.9.1, but they will be fixed soon, no big deal.

Mikel

KUDOS! Hell yes!

• Ken

Heh, thanks.

So I just updated the mail gem to 1.3.0 and against my fork of actionmailer at github/mikel/rails, ActionMailer now passes all tests in MRI 1.8.6, 1.8.7 and 1.9.1

Mikel

Now how about JRuby? :wink:

So I just updated the mail gem to 1.3.0 and against my fork of actionmailer at github/mikel/rails, ActionMailer now passes all tests in MRI 1.8.6, 1.8.7 and 1.9.1

Now how about JRuby? :wink:

Test it and let me know :slight_smile:

Ask and ye shall receive. So, there are 10 failures on JRuby 1.4 and a TONNE a warnings. You can see the full output here: http://gist.github.com/242667

Do you know if Carlhuda is intending on making changes in the mailer department of Rails 3? I seem to recall Yehuda mentioning something to this effect at one point. If I recall correctly it was about treating mailers like controllers.

James

quite a few of those are mocha errors.

missing "expects", "stubs" and such

Ask and ye shall receive. So, there are 10 failures on JRuby 1.4 and a

TONNE a warnings. You can see the full output here: http://gist.github.com/242667

Thanks for the tests :slight_smile:

A lot of the warnings actually come from the treetop parsers’ auto generated ruby code. I’ll be cleaning up as much as I can over the coming weeks.

The errors look fairly easy… most of them are probably test suite failures in terms of having these types of constructs:

if RUBY_VERSION < ‘1.9’

force_encoding code

else

don’t force encoding

end

If you could form mail, and fix up those so they run in 1.9, 1.8 and jruby and do a pull request, I would be much obliged :slight_smile:

Do you know if Carlhuda is intending on making changes in the mailer

department of Rails 3? I seem to recall Yehuda mentioning something to

this effect at one point. If I recall correctly it was about treating

mailers like controllers.

I was talking to Yehuda about extracting actionmailer out to allow other types of mailers, including things like IM clients etc. But from what I know, it won’t make Rails 3.

Mikel