Action Mailer : FROM ADDRESS

Hi,

I have been using action mailer with little or no issues for quite a while. I have been sending all mails as admin. Now that i thought of using user's email IDs itself when they communicate with each other instead of sending it via admin.

The action mailer messages /output do indicate that Mail from is : xyz@gmail.com

"235 2.7.0 Accepted\r\n" "MAIL FROM:<xyz@gmail.com>\r\n" "250 2.1.0 OK\r\n" "RCPT TO:<abc@gmail.com>\r\n" "250 2.1.5 OK\r\n" "DATA\r\n" "354 Go ahead\r\n"

But the mail received by abc@gmail.com still says, admin@mycompany.com. 1. How to solve this issue?

2. Is it legal to even use user's email id in such communications. If at all if I or someone gets this working, essentially mail can be sent to anyone with anyone's email id! Is this legal?

Regards, SG

But the mail received by a...@gmail.com still says, ad...@mycompany.com. 1. How to solve this issue?

2. Is it legal to even use user's email id in such communications. If at all if I or someone gets this working, essentially mail can be sent to anyone with anyone's email id! Is this legal?

Yup, from addresses can easily be spoofed. That's why you often get spam with bogus from addresses. Some mails servers force the from address to be the one associated with the account, precisely to reduce this sort of problem.

Fred