Accessing Input Type Image Coordinate Params

Form input of type image sends as parameters the x,y coordinates of the point on the image where the click occurred. Param keys are generally in the form, 'my_image.x' and 'my_image.y'. So, if one wants to test whether a particular image coordinate key is present he would typically use something like:

params.has_key?(:my_image.x)

This results in a complaint that the 'x' method is not defined. Presumably the problem is with the '.' in the symbol name. Enclosing the key name in single quotes works; but, I think that has been deprecated. I'm wondering what is the best way of handling this.

Thanks for any input.

... doug

Doug Jolley wrote:

Form input of type image sends as parameters the x,y coordinates of the point on the image where the click occurred. Param keys are generally in the form, 'my_image.x' and 'my_image.y'. So, if one wants to test whether a particular image coordinate key is present he would typically use something like:

params.has_key?(:my_image.x)

This results in a complaint that the 'x' method is not defined. Presumably the problem is with the '.' in the symbol name. Enclosing the key name in single quotes works; but, I think that has been deprecated.

But you are wrong AFAIK. params is a HashWithIndifferentAccess, so you can use either symbols or strings.

I'm wondering what is the best way of handling this.

If you want to use a symbol, then review your basic Ruby syntax for symbol literals. I recently dealt with this same issue in the post at XML parsing, block name with minus - Rails - Ruby-Forum , so I'll just refer you there instead of typing the whole thing out again. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for any input.

... doug

Best,

But you are wrong AFAIK. params is a HashWithIndifferentAccess, so you can use either symbols or strings.

That settles the issue. Thanks.

...doug