Wrong number of arguments?

I'm going through a tutorial here and running into an error I'm not sure how to fix..this is my first foire into sessions.

Trying to create a shopping cart for a store app. I'm getting this error:

wrong number of arguments (1 for 0)

RAILS_ROOT: script/../config/..

Here is my cart_item.rb model:

class CartItem   attr_reader :product, :quantity

def initialize     @product = product     @quantity = 1   end

def increment_quantity     @quantity += 1   end

def title     @product.title   end

def price     @product.price * @quantity   end end

And my cart.rb model:

class Cart   attr_reader :items

def initialize     @items =   end

def add_product(product)     current_item = @items.find {|item| item.product == product}     if current_item       current_item.increment_quantity     else       @items << CartItem.new(product)     end   end end

And my add_to_cart.rhtml view:

<h1>The shopping cart</h1> <ul>   <% for item in @cart.items %>     <li><%= cart_item.quantity %> &times; <%= h(item.title) %></li>   <% end %> </ul>

When I first tried clicking the add to cart function for a product I got an error that method 'product' was undefined but then I did rake db:sessions:clear and now I am getting this wrong number of arguments error - any ideas?

Thanks!

You're going to have to isolate what line the error originates from on your application by going through the Rails trace information, otherwise we're all going to be here forever trying to figure out what the problem is.

Matt wrote:

You're going to have to isolate what line the error originates from on your application by going through the Rails trace information, otherwise we're all going to be here forever trying to figure out what the problem is.

On Dec 30, 1:22�am, Ryan Ororie <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>

How can I do that?

when you get the error mentioned above, there should be the rails trace right on the same page (the part where rails tells you in which line of your code and on which method the error occurred).

Quoting Ryan Ororie <rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net>: [snip]

def add_product(product)     current_item = @items.find {|item| item.product == product}     if current_item       current_item.increment_quantity     else       @items << CartItem.new(product)     end   end end

Your code is calling the ActiveRecord find() which takes an argument or more. You are intending the Array method. It has an alias, detect. Change the line above to:

current_item = @items.detect {|item| item.product == product}

Someone on this list answer my similar question a year or two ago. I pass the "each one, teach one" obligation on to you.

Grin,   Jeffrey

nice.

MaD wrote:

when you get the error mentioned above, there should be the rails trace right on the same page (the part where rails tells you in which line of your code and on which method the error occurred).

Here is the full trace:

app/models/cart.rb:13:in `initialize' app/models/cart.rb:13:in `new' app/models/cart.rb:13:in `add_product' app/controllers/store_controller.rb:10:in `add_to_cart' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/action_controller/base.rb:1095:in `send' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/action_controller/base.rb:1095:in `perform_action_without_filters' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:632:in `call_filter' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:619:in `perform_action_without_benchmark' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:66:in `perform_action_without_rescue' /System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/benchmark.rb:293:in `measure' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/action_controller/benchmarking.rb:66:in `perform_action_without_rescue' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/action_controller/rescue.rb:83:in `perform_action' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/action_controller/base.rb:430:in `send' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/action_controller/base.rb:430:in `process_without_filters' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/action_controller/filters.rb:624:in `process_without_session_management_support' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/action_controller/session_management.rb:114:in `process' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/actionpack-1.13.3/lib/action_controller/base.rb:330:in `process' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/dispatcher.rb:41:in `dispatch' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel/rails.rb:76:in `process' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel/rails.rb:74:in `synchronize' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel/rails.rb:74:in `process' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel.rb:159:in `process_client' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel.rb:158:in `each' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel.rb:158:in `process_client' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel.rb:285:in `run' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel.rb:285:in `initialize' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel.rb:285:in `new' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel.rb:285:in `run' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel.rb:268:in `initialize' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel.rb:268:in `new' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel.rb:268:in `run' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:282:in `run' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:281:in `each' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel/configurator.rb:281:in `run' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/mongrel_rails:128:in `run' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/lib/mongrel/command.rb:212:in `run' /Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-1.1.5/bin/mongrel_rails:281 /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:488:in `load' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:488:in `load' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:342:in `new_constants_in' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:488:in `load' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/commands/servers/mongrel.rb:60 /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require' /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in `require' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:342:in `new_constants_in' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/activesupport-1.4.2/lib/active_support/dependencies.rb:495:in `require' /Users/rmorourk/.gem/ruby/1.8/gems/rails-1.2.3/lib/commands/server.rb:39 /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `gem_original_require' /Library/Ruby/Site/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:31:in `require' script/server:3

def add_product(product)     current_item = @items.find {|item| item.product == product}     if current_item       current_item.increment_quantity     else       @items << CartItem.new(product)     end   end

Try changing this to

def add_product(product)     current_item = @items.find {|item| item.product == product}     if current_item       current_item.increment_quantity     else       item = CartItem.create(product)       @items << item     end   end

Freddy Andersen wrote:

def add_product(product)     current_item = @items.find {|item| item.product == product}     if current_item       current_item.increment_quantity     else       @items << CartItem.new(product)     end   end

Try changing this to

def add_product(product)     current_item = @items.find {|item| item.product == product}     if current_item       current_item.increment_quantity     else       item = CartItem.create(product)       @items << item     end   end

This changed my error to:

undefined method `create' for CartItem:Class

Might be worth nothing that when I try to clear the session this is what I get:

bio4054059:depot rmorourk$ rake db:sessions:clear (in /Users/rmorourk/Sites/depot) /Users/rmorourk/Sites/depot/config/boot.rb:26:Warning: Gem::SourceIndex#search support for String patterns is deprecated bio4054059:depot rmorourk$

It might also be helpful to see my store_controller.rb file:

class StoreController < ApplicationController

def index     @products = Product.find_products_for_sale   end

def add_to_cart     @cart = find_cart     product = Product.find(params[:id])     @cart.add_product(product)   end

private   def find_cart     session[:cart] ||=Cart.new   end end

If I am reading the trace right (which I don't know that I am) I think the problem is on the @cart.add_product(product) line?

ahhhh Sorry I see now I was thinking that the CartItem class was an activerecord class ... The issue is this:

Here you call a new object of CartItem with a product passed @items << CartItem.new(product)

But here in the initialize you do not have a argument for initialize...

class CartItem   attr_reader :product, :quantity   def initialize     @product = product     @quantity = 1   end

Change it to this

class CartItem   attr_reader :product, :quantity   def initialize( product )     @product = product     @quantity = 1   end