wrong constant name user error

Hey all,

I have a table helper. Basically I want only certain tables to have a view link for each record. Im not sure the best way to achieve this but the way I can up with is to check if the model contains a certain method such as viewable and if it does, then you create the link in a table cell:

def table(collection, header_names, fields, class_name)       return false unless collection.any?       table_str = ""   table_str += "<table id=\"" + class_name + "\" class=\"" + class_name + "\">\n"     table_str += "\t<thead>\n"       table_str += "\t\t<tr>\n"         header_names.each do |name|           table_str += "\t\t\t<th>"           table_str += name           table_str += "</th>\n"         end       table_str += "\t\t</tr>\n"     table_str += "\t</thead>\n"     table_str += "\t<tbody>\n"       collection.each do |col|         table_str += "\t\t<tr>\n"           fields.each do |name|             table_str += "\t\t\t<td>\n"               table_str += col[name].to_s             table_str += "\t\t\t</td>\n"             if params[:controller].singularize.constantize.responds_to(:viewable)               table_str += "\t\t\t\t<td>\n"                table_str += link_to "Edit", edit_ + params[:action].singularize + _path               table_str += "\t\t\t\t</td>\n"             end           end         table_str += "\t\t</tr>\n"       end     table_str += "\t</tbody>\n"   table_str += "</table>\n"   table_str.html_safe      end

This file is located in helpers/layout_helper

Right now I get error: "wrong constant name user" when trying to display the users page.

Or perhaps there's a better way to determine whether you want to have a link available for certain views (note this is not role-based user authorization but rather some views will be editable and others not period regardless of user)?

Thanks for response.

params[:controller].singularize.constantize.responds_to(:viewable)

Presumably this is the line throwing the error. If params[:controller] is users then you'll be calling constantize on the string user. Constants have to start with a capital letter, so constantize throws an error. As an aside, seing that much markup in a helper is off-putting(in the same way that too much logic in a template is awkward), if I were you i'd shift some of that into a partial

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote in post #988949:

params[:controller].singularize.constantize.responds_to(:viewable)

Presumably this is the line throwing the error. If params[:controller] is users then you'll be calling constantize on the string user. Constants have to start with a capital letter, so constantize throws an error. As an aside, seing that much markup in a helper is off-putting(in the same way that too much logic in a template is awkward), if I were you i'd shift some of that into a partial

Fred

Hey thanks you were right. Now it looks even more off putting:

def table(collection, header_names, fields, class_name)       return false unless collection.any?       table_str = ""   table_str += "<table id=\"" + class_name + "\" class=\"" + class_name + "\">\n"     table_str += "\t<thead>\n"       table_str += "\t\t<tr>\n"         header_names.each do |name|           table_str += "\t\t\t<th>"           table_str += name           table_str += "</th>\n"         end         if params[:controller].singularize.capitalize.constantize.method_defined? :viewable           table_str += "\t\t\t<th>"           table_str += "View"           table_str += "</th>\n"         end

table_str += "\t\t</tr>\n"     table_str += "\t</thead>\n"     table_str += "\t<tbody>\n"       collection.each do |col|         table_str += "\t\t<tr>\n"           fields.each do |name|             table_str += "\t\t\t<td>\n"               table_str += col[name].to_s             table_str += "\t\t\t</td>\n"         end         if params[:controller].singularize.capitalize.constantize.method_defined? :viewable           table_str += "\t\t\t<td>\n"             table_str += link_to 'View', :action => 'show', :id => col.id           table_str += "\t\t\t</td>\n"         end

table_str += "\t\t</tr>\n"       end     table_str += "\t</tbody>\n"   table_str += "</table>\n"   table_str.html_safe      end

It works but I dont like that I am checking whether a model has the method "viewable" just to display a link to a detail view in the table. Is there a better way to determine if the current controller's table should contain a view or not?

Thanks for response.

Can't you set an @variable in the controller and test it in the view to determine whether to show the link?

Colin

Frederick Cheung wrote in post #988949:

if

params[:controller].singularize.capitalize.constantize.method_defined? :viewable

Why not just controller.respond_to? :viewable ?

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote in post #989266: