Would you develop on Windows?

Oh and yeah, the VS Code support for both of these scenarios (WSL2 or Docker) is phenomenal, absolutely the gold standard in IDE “remoting” and I say that as an old Emacs/TRAMP user.

1 Like

Is the development for different operating systems different?

Yes, we would. There are some challenges but most can be worked around. Rails 7 runs on Windows with Ruby 3.0 and JRuby support is also coming along fine. Using WSL2 is even more convenient, of course. Best regards, Mohit.

Although I am not a developer, Microsoft has created a comfortable environment for Windows applications and software developers. Windows is the most popular operating system used by billions of people. Linux is primarily used by the people working in It. I never thought about using any other operating system as I like Windows. I have been licensed Windows 11 with cheap windows keys for over a year now and am very happy with it. Before that, I used Windows 10, and I can say that the new version works more stable.

Yes, Ruby works great on Windows and allows you to do a whole bunch of things. I would not deploy a Rails app for the world to consume on a Windows server, but we use Ruby in production on both CRuby (using rubyinstaller.org) and JRuby (jruby.org/) both of which work great. I do try to write about RubyOnWindows / JRuby on my blog at and would love to identify and help solve issues people face (assuming the issue is not “it’s not Linux or Mac and therefore it sucks” of course).