Wish List: has_many :dependent => {}

I am after a nice way to disable (not destroy, delete nor nullify) all associated records. I’m a hoarder, I don’t want to get rid of anything but I want to stop records being visible.

I have a disabled boolean in my tables and if I disable the top record in the association (say the association is 5-6 levels deep), I would like to cleanly disable its children.

I’ve looked in the source to see how AR collects all the records but couldn’t easily track it back.

The way I’m thinking is to extend …

has_many :products do def disable products = all(:conditions => ‘’, :include => associations) products.each do ## but here it gets messy end

end end

Does anyone have a nicer solution to this?

Thank you

-ants

I am after a nice way to disable (not destroy, delete nor nullify) all associated records. I'm a hoarder, I don't want to get rid of anything but I want to stop records being visible.

I have a disabled boolean in my tables and if I disable the top record in the association (say the association is 5-6 levels deep), I would like to cleanly disable its children.

I've looked in the source to see how AR collects all the records but couldn't easily track it back.

The way I'm thinking is to extend ....

has_many :products do   def disable     products = all(:conditions => '', :include => associations)     products.each do      ## but here it gets messy     end       end end

Does anyone have a nicer solution to this?

I would set the has_many dependency to delete/destroy then in the model products redefine what the delete/destroy method does.

def delete     #set disable Boolean end

This not only works for your cascading dependencies but also if you call the delete method from an object of products.

B.

Yes, that’s nice. Thanks for that. For some reason, I didn’t think the has_many would call my delete but I guess it does.

Again, thanks.

-ants