Windows new installation - Always problems

I would like to know if there is a way to 'package' an application with all the associated gems and ship it to a new server and having it to "just work" in a Windows environment.

Although I have never done it I know that Rails can be frozen into the application. I am wondering if I can do the same thing with other gems. I have found this (http://gemsonrails.rubyforge.org) that seems to be what I need, although it's from 2007 and I was wondering if anybody is using it and/or there are other or better alternatives.

Since I can't use RVM I have looked into Pik but that, I believe, will not help me since it's a way to keep environments separate, not 'package' the application as I need it.

Also, would it be possible to include Ruby and Mongrel in the 'package'? That would be just great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

pepe wrote in post #966524:

I would like to know if there is a way to 'package' an application with all the associated gems and ship it to a new server and having it to "just work" in a Windows environment.

Rails doesn't ever "just work" on Windows, does it?

Although I have never done it I know that Rails can be frozen into the application. I am wondering if I can do the same thing with other gems. I have found this (http://gemsonrails.rubyforge.org) that seems to be what I need, although it's from 2007 and I was wondering if anybody is using it and/or there are other or better alternatives.

Rails 2: rake gems:unpack Rails 3: Bundler (which you can also install for use with Rails 2 if you like)

Since I can't use RVM I have looked into Pik but that, I believe, will not help me since it's a way to keep environments separate, not 'package' the application as I need it.

It might still help you.

Also, would it be possible to include Ruby and Mongrel in the 'package'? That would be just great.

Mongrel is a gem, but it's got compiled bits IIRC.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Investigate JRuby and Glassfish. Better yet, don't deploy on Windows.

Thank you.

Best,

Rails doesn't ever "just work" on Windows, does it?

:slight_smile:

> Although I have never done it I know that Rails can be frozen into the > application. I am wondering if I can do the same thing with other > gems. I have found this (http://gemsonrails.rubyforge.org) that seems > to be what I need, although it's from 2007 and I was wondering if > anybody is using it and/or there are other or better alternatives.

Rails 2: rake gems:unpack Rails 3: Bundler (which you can also install for use with Rails 2 if you like)

Will look into that. Thanks.

Yes, I know it's a gem. I'm guessing I'm wrong but I thought it would be easier/best if I have it installed "in the open" and use Windows services if I am running more than one application on the same server. Can I start a Windows service if I have Mongrel frozen under the application?

Investigate JRuby and Glassfish.

I looked into JRuby some time ago. What would that buy me in relationship to 'packaging' the application?

Better yet, don't deploy on Windows.

You couldn't resist, could you? :smiley:

pepe wrote in post #966573: [...]

Yes, I know it's a gem. I'm guessing I'm wrong but I thought it would be easier/best if I have it installed "in the open" and use Windows services if I am running more than one application on the same server. Can I start a Windows service if I have Mongrel frozen under the application?

I have no idea. I don't use Windows.

I looked into JRuby some time ago. What would that buy me in relationship to 'packaging' the application?

Well, you could compile the whole thing as a WAR file and deploy it as a Java servlet. Glassfish supposedly gets you similar benefits without needing to compile.

I don't use JRuby for Rails, but I understand it tends to be the easiest way to get things working on Windows.

Better yet, don't deploy on Windows.

You couldn't resist, could you? :smiley:

No. Why do things that are painful if a known non-painful way is available?

Best,

> I looked into JRuby some time ago. What would that buy me in > relationship to 'packaging' the application?

Well, you could compile the whole thing as a WAR file and deploy it as a Java servlet. Glassfish supposedly gets you similar benefits without needing to compile.

I don't use JRuby for Rails, but I understand it tends to be the easiest way to get things working on Windows.

Thanks

>> Better yet, don't deploy on Windows.

> You couldn't resist, could you? :smiley:

No. Why do things that are painful if a known non-painful way is available?

Some clients "impose" the infrastructure and that's what we have to work with. I've been told "We want Oracle because we already have it and we don't want to have to learn to maintain MySQL/PostgreSQL/ other". They prefer Windows for the same exact reason. Learning Linux is something they just don't want to do. It's unfortunate but it's reality.

pepe wrote in post #966582: [...]

Some clients "impose" the infrastructure and that's what we have to work with. I've been told "We want Oracle because we already have it and we don't want to have to learn to maintain MySQL/PostgreSQL/ other". They prefer Windows for the same exact reason. Learning Linux is something they just don't want to do. It's unfortunate but it's reality.

Oh, I'm aware of that. But that doesn't mean we have to support bizarre technical requirements. I think I'd turn down a client who wanted me to deploy a Rails application on Windows.

Best,

pepe wrote:

Many will dis it but I have found Instant Rails well suited to exactly that (if you have to work in windows). The latest version of Instant Rails is old and uses Rails 2.0 or so it can be upgraded using gems (look on this list for problems with that other have had) to at least 2.3. I do not know the score on 3.0 as I have not gotten there yet. IR integrates all of the stuff for ROR including Ruby, the db server (mysql) and mongrel (I think, if not you can install it using gem install) You can just freeze all of your gems and away you go.

Many will dis it but I have found Instant Rails well suited to exactly that (if you have to work in windows). The latest version of Instant Rails is old and uses Rails 2.0 or so it can be upgraded using gems (look on this list for problems with that other have had) to at least 2.3. I do not know the score on 3.0 as I have not gotten there yet. IR integrates all of the stuff for ROR including Ruby, the db server (mysql) and mongrel (I think, if not you can install it using gem install) You can just freeze all of your gems and away you go.

I had not thought about IR but it actually would not work in this case, I think.

To make the whole picture "even better" the client will not only use Windows but MSSQL as well, which is how the whole mess started actually (ODBC problems). In order to use MSSQL I have to install some gems that need the DevKit and DevKit needs Ruby to be installed with the Rubyinstaller (if I remember the name well). That would probably not work (I could be wrong) with Ruby installed from IR. Also the Rails version will probably need to be upgraded to make all our applications "compatible".

Manually installing Ruby and Mongrel and then freezing gems into the application might be the way to go here. I'll be trying out Marnen's suggestions for that and I will also try to replace the ODBC dependency with something like 'tiny_tds' and see how that works.

Thanks though.

pepe wrote in post #966625: [...]

To make the whole picture "even better" the client will not only use Windows but MSSQL as well, which is how the whole mess started actually (ODBC problems).

Then do what we're doing here: use a separate *nix server for the Rails app, and connect with TinyTds. That way Rails and MSSQL both get the environment in which they're happiest.

If you can't do that, JRuby and jTDS might work, or you could use MRI and ODBC.

Best,

Then do what we're doing here: use a separate *nix server for the Rails app, and connect with TinyTds. That way Rails and MSSQL both get the environment in which they're happiest.

That's exactly the idea I had in mind but... it was not well received.

pepe wrote in post #966645:

That's exactly the idea I had in mind but... it was not well received.

Some clients are not worth working for. Keep that in mind.

Best,

Many will dis it but I have found Instant Rails well suited to exactly

I had not thought about IR but it actually would not work in this case, I think.

They "dis" it when people suggest deploying apps with it, because it's a development platform with no security and poor management ability. If you *have* to use Rails on Windows, either set it up manually or use the Bitnami RubyStack.

To make the whole picture "even better" the client will not only use Windows but MSSQL as well

Excuse my abruptness, but what on Earth are they using Rails for then? And who is making these (erroneous) technical decisions? Sounds like an ideal environment for a .Net application. I'm with Marnen... run away from them :-/

Michael Pavling wrote in post #966651: [...]

To make the whole picture "even better" the client will not only use Windows but MSSQL as well

Excuse my abruptness, but what on Earth are they using Rails for then?

Rails actually works well with MSSQL, as I and many others can attest. But we're not trying to run Rails on Windows...

And who is making these (erroneous) technical decisions?

I'd worry more about that.

Sounds like an ideal environment for a .Net application.

Doesn't it?

I'm with Marnen... run away from them :-/

:slight_smile:

Best,

Not specific to Windows, but...

The Glassfish app server 1) is way overkill for a JRuby/Rails app and 2) doesn't officially support JRuby any more. And the Glassfish gem is no longer under development.

If you want to use JRuby look at Tomcat or the Trinidad (embedded Tomcat) gem. (There's also a Jetty-based gem but I haven't used it and don't know how actively it's being maintained.)

FWIW,

Hassan Schroeder wrote in post #966658:

A correction: the GF gem is no longer being developed by Oracle, but at least one fork is:

https://github.com/BanzaiMan/glassfish-gem/

Just updated, too :slight_smile: