will_paginate

I'm trying to get some pagination to work (I'm just starting with rails). I'm using Rails 2.0.2 (Mac OS 10.5.2). I installed the will_paginate gem, and it shows up as installed if I run 'gem list' ... (will_paginate (2.2.1)).

However, I'm getting an error anytime I try to use a paginate command like ...

@articles = Article.paginate :page => params[:page]

NoMethodError: undefined method `paginate' for #<Class:0x114b7ec>

I added 'require "will_paginate"' to environment.rb, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

What's the secret handshake required to get pagination to work with Rails 2.0.2? Is there a tutorial somewhere that shows all the required steps to get pagination (particularly, using will_paginate) to work with 2.0.2?

-lw

It seems you haven't installed it as a plugin, or required it in your
environment.

Also don't forget to restart your webserver if you haven't. :wink:

Julian.

Learn Ruby on Rails! Check out the FREE VIDS (for a limited time)
VIDEO #4 coming soon! http://sensei.zenunit.com/

Julian Leviston wrote:

It seems you haven't installed it as a plugin, or required it in your environment.

Also don't forget to restart your webserver if you haven't. :wink:

Julian.

Learn Ruby on Rails! Check out the FREE VIDS (for a limited time) VIDEO #4 coming soon! http://sensei.zenunit.com/

Hi,

I've the same error too. I have installed as a plugin and required it in my environment. But it doesn't seems to work. I still get the NoMethodError. Can someone tell me how to solve this?

Thanks

splash,

I discovered what the problem was (thanks to Julian). I had installed the gem correctly. The problem was that I had put the following statement...

require "will_paginate"

_inside_ of "Rails::Initializer.run do |config|", rather than _following_ the end of that block. When I moved the require statement to the end of the file (app/config/environment.rb), following the 'end' of the block, the app was able to find the gem, and that error went away. I've got it sort of working now. I just need to work on setting up the partial rendering correctly.

-lw