Why isn't Puma working!?

It’s driving me crazy because i’m new to programming and I can’t find help for this anywhere… I have windows 7 and when I try to pull up the localhost3000 after I put “Rails Server” in the command, it just has errors on the webpage, and then on the command prompt. I can’t figure out where I went wrong… PLEASE HELP!!

To hope for help with that limited information is pointless. Copy/paste the output shown in the terminal here so we can see what the problem is (not a screen shot please, copy/paste the text. However running Rails on Windows is fraught with problems and if it is a Windows issue you may have trouble finding anyone who can help. My advice is to run Rails in a Linux system such as Ubuntu or on a Mac. You can dual boot your machine with Ubuntu/Windows or run Ubuntu in a Virtual Machine inside Windows (or run Win in a VM inside Ubuntu).

Note that it is localhost:3000 not localhost3000, but I suppose that may be a typo.

Colin

First it says this:

=> Booting Puma

=> Rails 5.0.2 application starting in development on http://localhost:3000

=> Run rails server -h for more startup options

*** SIGUSR2 not implemented, signal based restart unavailable!

*** SIGUSR1 not implemented, signal based restart unavailable!

*** SIGHUP not implemented, signal based logs reopening unavailable!

Puma starting in single mode…

• Version 3.8.2 (ruby 2.3.3-p222), codename: Sassy Salamander

• Min threads: 5, max threads: 5

• Environment: development

• Listening on tcp://localhost:3000

Use Ctrl-C to stop

Then when I try to go to the webpage it says this both on the webpage and command prompt, plus a whole bunch of stuff too long to paste:

Access denied for user ‘root’@‘localhost’ (using password: NO)

First it says this:

=> Booting Puma

OK, so Puma is actually working just fine...

Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)

...but it appears you don't have your app configured properly to access your database. Check your app's config/database.yml

Well it says the right password and everything on the file… it didn’t at first, but then I edited it… do I need to edit it somewhere else too?

Did you restart the server *after* you edited that file? Can you start up a Rails console and access the DB from there?

I edited the file in Atom, and yes I closed out Atom and opened it back up again after I edited it. I just started, I don’t have the console set up yet because I haven’t been able to get past this step.

sorry, and I tried again on the server.

I edited the file in Atom, and yes I closed out Atom and opened it back up again after I edited it.

That has nothing to do with the question: did you *restart* the rails server after editing the config/database.yml file?

I just started, I don't have the console set up yet because I haven't been able to get past this step.

There's nothing to "set up" - it's built in; "rails console" is the command to run. Try it and see if you can access your ActiveRecord models.

Or alternatively, "rails dbconsole" should give you direct access to the DB command line.