Why is Rails eager loading most of my database?

I have a highly-normalized user model called Respondent. It has many join fields such as "ethnicity_id", "education_id", etc. that define relational categories. Most of them are indexed. For reasons unknown, Rails is hitting a huge number of the tables when accessing any Respondent objects. For example, on a simple SHOW action:

==CONTROLLER== (from basic scaffold)   def show     @respondent = Respondent.find(params[:id])

respond_to do |format|       format.html # show.html.erb       format.xml { render :xml => @respondent }     end   end

==VIEW== (note - nothing is even being rendered!) <p id="notice"><%= notice %></p>

<%= link_to 'Edit', edit_respondent_path(@respondent) %> | <%= link_to 'Back', respondents_path %>

==RESULTING SERVER LOG== Started GET "/respondents" for 127.0.0.1 at 2011-03-25 14:12:50 -0400   Processing by RespondentsController#index as HTML Geokit is using the domain: localhost   ←[1m←[35mPostalCode Load (101.0ms)←[0m SELECT `postal_codes`.* FROM `postal_codes`   ←[1m←[36mCountry Load (1.0ms)←[0m ←[1mSELECT `countries`.* FROM `countries`←[0m   ←[1m←[35mEthnicity Load (1.0ms)←[0m SELECT `ethnicities`.* FROM `ethnicities`   ←[1m←[36mEducation Load (0.0ms)←[0m ←[1mSELECT `educations`.* FROM `educations`←[0m   ←[1m←[35mJobStatus Load (0.0ms)←[0m SELECT `job_statuses`.* FROM `job_statuses`   ←[1m←[36mRespondent Load (0.0ms)←[0m ←[1mSELECT `respondents`.* FROM `respondents`←[0m Rendered layouts/_navigation.html.erb (1.0ms) Rendered respondents/index.html.erb within layouts/application (190.0ms) Completed 200 OK in 3809ms (Views: 205.0ms | ActiveRecord: 103.0ms)

==QUESTION== Why in the world could the server need to hit these tables and why is it taking so long? Some of these models are related -- for example, postal_code BELONGS_TO country, etc. It does not do this for any other models. I have attached the model and migration file for reference since they are so long.

Attachments: http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/6083/respondent.rb http://www.ruby-forum.com/attachment/6084/20110226202511_create_respondents.rb

I have a highly-normalized user model called Respondent. It has many join fields such as "ethnicity_id", "education_id", etc. that define relational categories. Most of them are indexed. For reasons unknown, Rails is hitting a huge number of the tables when accessing any Respondent objects. For example, on a simple SHOW action:

Looks to me that it's because of some of your validations, that seem to be validating that (eg) ethnicity_id is in the list of all ethnicities etc.

Fred

Hi Fred, thanks for the reply. Does rails execute validations when simply showing the object? My assumption is that validations were only called before_create.

Taylor

Hi Fred, thanks for the reply. Does rails execute validations when simply showing the object? My assumption is that validations were only called before_create.

The validations aren't run, but when you do

validates_inclusion_of :foo, :in => bar

then ruby does have to evaluate all those arguments in order to call validates_inclusion_of an setup the validation

Fred

Thanks Fred - that was very helpful. Is there a more efficient way to validate inclusion of that doesn't tax the database so heavily?

Well personally I'd just use a foreign key constraint, but you could use validates presence of on the association

Fred

Hi Fred, in Rails 3 I found validates_associated to be the most streamlined approach for such a normalized model.

http://guides.rubyonrails.org/active_record_validations_callbacks.html#validates_associated

Thanks again!