why is HTTP_HOST set to "wrong" value on 2nd nginx server ?

hi,

i have a nginx server serving a ror app (1).

now i have added a second server section , different server_name directive in nginx.conf serving up the same app but with a different layout based on controlle rlogic based on the HOST_NAME.

it works locally, but the server still show HOSTNAME from server 1, hence logic failing...

any ideas?

hi,

i have a nginx server serving a ror app (1).

now i have added a second server section , different server_name directive in nginx.conf serving up the same app but with a different layout based on controlle rlogic based on the HOST_NAME.

it works locally, but the server still show HOSTNAME from server 1, hence logic failing...

I think you need to be a little more explicit on exactly what you mean by HOSTNAME (or HOST_NAME, you don't seem sure which it is).

Colin

Sure: post your nginx config (or a sample version that demonstrates the problem) along with something showing how you're determining what requests the Rails app is receiving.

never mind. did clear browser cache...too many windows... too much of a day...

i am trying to figure our why layout is not being triggerd in applicaiton controller....

thx again

somewhat off the topic - but just want to repeat my delight that HatchBox now handle all this server pain for me!

it’s kinda like heroku - but they’ll configure the server on your choice of host. I use DigitalOcean

I give them a fairly modest amount of money, and they make all this kind of thing very easy.

Adding an extra domain to the app is about three clicks. (app, configuration, type your new domain name, click add) They worry about the ngnix config and all that

I actually have an app like yours which behaves differently according to host. I just have this method in my application controller

def get_host

host = params[:host] || request.host

@host = HostInfo.with(host:host)

end

I use the params[:host] option to simplify local testing. It allows me to test localhost:3000/?host=domain.com

If you do want to check out hatchbox - this link gives me a referral bonus https://hatchbox.io?via=rob

thank you for the hint.

my problem is that the slection of th elayout works just fine in development mode + dns in windows host file ; but no on production server, it on,y says template not found...

thx