why does #destroy() DELETE FROM one at a time?

I have a pair of models with a fairly standard :has_many relation. The only twist is that the has_many table is a namespaced STI table:

module MeteredService   class Base < ActiveRecord::Base     has_many :service_bills, :foreign_key => :metered_service_id, :dependent => :destroy     ...   end end

class ServiceBill < ActiveRecord::Base   belongs_to :metered_service, :class_name => "MeteredService::Base", :foreign_key => "metered_service_id"   ... end

When I do

my_metered_service.destroy

Rails generates individual DELETE FROM commands (and there are a lot of them) ... DELETE FROM "service_bills" WHERE "service_bills"."id" = $1 [["id", 633398]] DELETE FROM "service_bills" WHERE "service_bills"."id" = $1 [["id", 633399]] ...

Question 1: Is this the expected behavior? I would think Rails would be smart enough to do the deletions in a single statement along the lines of:

DELETE FROM "service_bills" WHERE metered_service.id = my_metered_service.id

Question 2: If this is NOT the expected behavior, have I set up my STI relations incorrectly?

Sometimes I intentionally introduce small typos to see if you're paying attention! :slight_smile: The suggested SQL should have read:

DELETE FROM "service_bills" WHERE metered_service_id = my_metered_service.id

I have a pair of models with a fairly standard :has_many relation. The only twist is that the has_many table is a namespaced STI table:

module MeteredService class Base < ActiveRecord::Base    has_many :service_bills, :foreign_key => :metered_service_id, :dependent => :destroy    ... end end

class ServiceBill < ActiveRecord::Base belongs_to :metered_service, :class_name => "MeteredService::Base", :foreign_key => "metered_service_id" ... end

When I do

my_metered_service.destroy

Rails generates individual DELETE FROM commands (and there are a lot of them) ... DELETE FROM "service_bills" WHERE "service_bills"."id" = $1 [["id", 633398]] DELETE FROM "service_bills" WHERE "service_bills"."id" = $1 [["id", 633399]] ...

Question 1: Is this the expected behavior? I would think Rails would be smart enough to do the deletions in a single statement along the lines of:

It is expected. You've set :dependent => :destroy. That tells Rails that you want to instantiate each of the related objects and call destroy on it -- in order that each of those objects destroy callbacks also get called.

DELETE FROM "service_bills" WHERE metered_service.id = my_metered_service.id

Question 2: If this is NOT the expected behavior, have I set up my STI relations incorrectly?

If you don't need to pick up any of those callbacks you can set :dependent => :delete_all

See the docs for :has_many for more info...

-philip