Why do I get the DEFAULT rails page

I'm following the tutorial here:

And have set the route as:

root :to => "home#index"

But, always get the DEFAULT Rails page.

What could I be missing?

Thanks.

You didn't delete/rename public/index.html, at a guess.

Daniel Bye wrote:

What default rails page are you getting? If it looks remarkably like public/index.html used to look before you deleted it, and you really have deleted it, then perhaps the browser has cached it or something. Quickly make a new rails app and have a look at index.html if forget what it looked like. Look carefully in public and make sure you have not left something lying around. I presume you have re-started everything and still see the problem.

Colin

Colin suggests that your browser may be caching it; there may be additional levels of caching going on. AFAIK Rails doesn't automagically wanted-but-deleted default pages (like how Windows will restore many missing files), but perhaps either it does now, or some bizarre gem you've installed does so.

Check if it's there now. If so, don't delete it again, but edit it, and make it completely different. Then see what your browser shows you. If it's still the old version, press Shift while refreshing the page (^R, F5, or whatever your browser uses). If it's STILL the old one, then let's worry about your routing. Problems like these often turn out to be something trivial, while the geeks are hunting down the hairy sort of problem they LIKE to solve.... :slight_smile:

-Dave

Thanks a lot everyone.

It seems that it may be a cache problem. I deleted the application and created it from scratch and now it works fine.

I will remember that solution. Next time I want to clear the cache I know I just have to delete the app and recreate it from scratch. Excellent.

Colin

Colin Law wrote: