Which RoR to run on Mac OS X for a particular RoR app.

RobsMacAir:~ rob$ gem uninstall my_gem -v=2.3.8 ERROR: While executing gem ... (Gem::InstallError)    Unknown gem my_gem = 2.3.8

Sorry, I forgot to tell the group to e-mail me updates on the post. I'm sorry, Colin is right, what I wrote was just an example.

I expected after deinstalling rails 2.3.8 gem list local would find the other rails versions. But did this blow away all rails?

The gem command is being cautious. It doesn't want to delete anything but the absolutely necessary. I personally would not want to remove a gem and find out that the command blew away 10 other gems just because they are either required by the one I just deleted or compatible with it. What if I wanted to keep them because they serve me for other purposes?

Removing gems is a little boring but it shouldn't take you more than 10 or 15 minutes to remove all the ones you need to remove once you get the hang of it.

I admit I am in learning mode. I thought this was a place to help out beginners.

Absolutely. I have had great help in this forum from day 1.

I have been programming in Assembler, C, and tons of SQL and now some PHP and writing shell scripts since the late 70s, and the complexity and impreciseness of the books and tutorials are amazing RoR,

I can't say that I agree with you here. What _is_ confusing is that there are so many out of date tutorials and mailing list archive entries that are found when searching for data on rails. This is inevitable unfortunately if you want to experiment with fast moving technologies like Rails. All the ones you mention have been little changed for decades so the documentation is stable.

+1 with Colin here

Is there a way to just go into the file system, and delete all the directories for Rails and just do a fresh reinstall. I cannot figure out rvm,

After reading an entry on the internet I tried just that a week or so ago as the entry specified that it _might_ be possible. However, after I blew away all folders in the gem directory and asked for the gem list all the gems were still there and I had to run the commands manually anyway to make sure everything was gone as it should. I didn't want to have problems during re-installation. You're going to need to uninstall the gems manually and probably selectively I'm afraid, but if you find a way to do it all at once, please let me (us) know.

-- Marnen Laibow-Koser http://www.marnen.org marnen@marnen.org

Sent from my iPhone

You are not helpful. Please stop.

pepe,

"Removing gems is a little boring but it shouldn't take you more than 10 or 15 minutes to remove all the ones you need to remove once you get the hang of it."

How, I tried the RobsiMac:~ rob$ sudo gem uninstall rails -v 2.3.8

Select gem to uninstall: 1. rails-2.3.8 2. rails-2.3.8 3. All versions

Remove executables:   rails

in addition to the gem? [Yn] Removing rails Successfully uninstalled rails-2.3.8 Remove executables:   rails

in addition to the gem? [Yn] Removing rails Successfully uninstalled rails-2.3.8 RobsiMac:~ rob$ rails -v -bash: /usr/bin/rails: No such file or directory

I seem to have messed up somehow. (i.e. I expected after running "sudo gem uninstall rails -v 2.3.8" I would get "rails -v" saying the next most current version.)

It seems like it uninstalled more than 2.3.8 but on gem list there are version still around there. Eww.

Rob Th wrote in post #966879:

-- Marnen Laibow-Koser http://www.marnen.org marnen@marnen.org

Sent from my iPhone

You are not helpful. Please stop.

You know, I had decided I wasn't going to post further answers here, but then it seemed like you actually had started listening to what people were telling you. I guess I was wrong.

Best,

Rob Th wrote in post #966881:

pepe,

"Removing gems is a little boring but it shouldn't take you more than 10 or 15 minutes to remove all the ones you need to remove once you get the hang of it."

Remove executables:   rails

in addition to the gem? [Yn] Removing rails Successfully uninstalled rails-2.3.8 Remove executables:   rails

in addition to the gem? [Yn] Removing rails Successfully uninstalled rails-2.3.8 RobsiMac:~ rob$ rails -v -bash: /usr/bin/rails: No such file or directory

I seem to have messed up somehow. (i.e. I expected after running "sudo gem uninstall rails -v 2.3.8" I would get "rails -v" saying the next most current version.)

It seems like it uninstalled more than 2.3.8 but on gem list there are version still around there. Eww.

I recently had this happen as well. If I tell you what I think is going on, will you actually pay attention, or will you just give me the brush-off again? If the latter, I'm not going to waste my time writing an explanation; if the former, I'll be happy to. Your choice; just let me know how you'd like to do things.

Best,

Rob Th wrote in post #966852:

I expected after deinstalling rails 2.3.8 gem list local would find the other rails versions. But did this blow away all rails?

I admit I am in learning mode. I thought this was a place to help out beginners. I have been programming in Assembler, C, and tons of SQL and now some PHP and writing shell scripts since the late 70s, and the complexity and impreciseness of the books and tutorials are amazing RoR,

Is there a way to just go into the file system, and delete all the directories for Rails and just do a fresh reinstall. I cannot figure out rvm,

Hopefully this will help clear things up for you. The installation of Ruby on Rails on Mac OS X is a bit different than on other platforms. A version of both Ruby and Rails are pre-installed either with the operating system or Xcode (not sure which since I always install Xcode on all my systems).

Some (usually older) versions of a number of gems are installed in the Mac OS X system library (/System/Library/). The gem command (even using sudo) cannot be used to uninstall these system gems.

It might be possible to use the root user to delete the framework that contains those gems, but I don't know what you might break in doing so.

With RVM you can effectively "replace" all the pre-installed system gems with gemsets that you can fully manage. Installing and learning RVM is actually easier than trying to manage the system installed gems (including the Rails ones).

Select gem to uninstall: 1. rails-2.3.8 2. rails-2.3.8 3. All versions> 3

Remove executables: rails

in addition to the gem? [Yn] Removing rails Successfully uninstalled rails-2.3.8 Remove executables: rails

I believe the problem might lie in leaving the '=' sign out of the command:

gem uninstall rails -v=2.3.8 (what I would have typed) vs. gem uninstall rails -v 2.3.8 (what you actually typed)

I'm not sure, but *maybe* you had 2 different versions of 2.3.8 installed (if that is possible)? I guess it's possible that when you answered with option 3 it went out and blanketed out the rails versions and now you don't have any of them. :frowning:

If that is the case and since you need rails installed you can install it by just specifying the version you want:

gem install rails -v=x.x.x (replace the x.x.x with the version you need). That should install any other dependencies it might need if you still don't have them.

If you have problems or more questions I think it might be helpful if you post the list of gems you have now to give us a better idea about what mismatches you could have.

There is something you should know I am not sure you are aware of. Different versions of Ruby and Rails have different dependencies. For example, a given version of rails might need a minimum (and maybe maximum) version of activerecord. Just having _any_ version of activerecord will not do.

In my opinion the best thing you could do if you want to have a "clean" environment is remove everything you have and install what you need. The process *shouldn't* be difficult.

I believe the prior mentions to RVM were meant to indicate to you that there are ways of keeping separate "environments" if you need them. For example, you might have an application that runs under Ruby 1.8.6 and Rails 2.3.5 and another one under the latest Ruby and Rails versions. The activerecord and related gems you need are going to be different for sure for between both environments. RVM will help you to keep those 2 environments separate.

Robert Walker wrote in post #966886:

Rob Th wrote in post #966852:

I admit I am in learning mode. I thought this was a place to help out beginners. I have been programming in Assembler, C, and tons of SQL and now some PHP and writing shell scripts since the late 70s, and the complexity and impreciseness of the books and tutorials are amazing RoR,

Hopefully this will help clear things up for you. The installation of Ruby on Rails on Mac OS X is a bit different than on other platforms. A version of both Ruby and Rails are pre-installed either with the operating system or Xcode (not sure which since I always install Xcode on all my systems).

Some (usually older) versions of a number of gems are installed in the Mac OS X system library (/System/Library/). The gem command (even using sudo) cannot be used to uninstall these system gems.

It might be possible to use the root user to delete the framework that contains those gems, but I don't know what you might break in doing so.

With RVM you can effectively "replace" all the pre-installed system gems with gemsets that you can fully manage. Installing and learning RVM is actually easier than trying to manage the system installed gems (including the Rails ones).

I tried rvm and I just don't get it. Sorry.

I think you are right. I think Xcode installed some of this. Actually I do not recall any other install. I was pretty surprised to see all these versions. Not sure where they came from. This whole RoR thing makes me nervous. I own a bunch of heavy equipment and I have operators and mechanics. Most RoR types are users, not mechanics. I think I am leaking hydro and need a wrencher not an operator. :slight_smile:

I appreciate your help. I did de-intall xcode last night using the script from Apple and it did not clean this up either.

Can you explain why after doing a de-install of 2.3.8, ruby -v says no ruby? See above.

If I reinstall Mac OS do you think that would make this go away and I could do a new install with just ruby 1.8.7 and rails 2.2.2.

pepe wrote in post #966887: Pepe, Thanks.

If you have problems or more questions I think it might be helpful if you post the list of gems you have now to give us a better idea about what mismatches you could have.

RobsiMac:~ rob$ gem list --local

*** LOCAL GEMS ***

actionmailer (2.3.8, 2.3.5, 2.2.2, 1.3.6) actionpack (2.3.8, 2.3.5, 2.2.2, 1.13.6) actionwebservice (1.2.6) activerecord (2.3.8, 2.3.5, 2.2.2, 1.15.6) activeresource (2.3.8, 2.3.5, 2.2.2) activesupport (2.3.8, 2.3.5, 2.2.2, 1.4.4) acts_as_ferret (0.4.3) capistrano (2.5.2) cgi_multipart_eof_fix (2.5.0) daemons (1.0.10) dnssd (0.6.0) fastthread (1.0.1) fcgi (0.8.7) ferret (0.11.6) gem_plugin (0.2.3) highline (1.5.0) hpricot (0.6.164) libxml-ruby (1.1.2) mongrel (1.1.5) needle (1.3.0) net-scp (1.0.1) net-sftp (2.0.1, 1.1.1) net-ssh (2.0.4, 1.1.4) net-ssh-gateway (1.0.0) rack (1.1.0, 1.0.1) rails (2.3.5, 2.2.2, 1.2.6) rake (0.8.3) RedCloth (4.1.1) ruby-openid (2.1.2) ruby-yadis (0.3.4) rubynode (0.1.5) rvm (1.1.3) sqlite3-ruby (1.2.4) termios (0.9.4) xmpp4r (0.4) RobsiMac:~ rob$ ruby -v ruby 1.8.7 (2009-06-12 patchlevel 174) [universal-darwin10.0] RobsiMac:~ rob$ rails -v -bash: rails: command not found

There is something you should know I am not sure you are aware of. Different versions of Ruby and Rails have different dependencies. For example, a given version of rails might need a minimum (and maybe maximum) version of activerecord. Just having _any_ version of activerecord will not do.

Thanks. I am pretty sure this is true. Some people think that is a good thing. I am not so sure.

In my opinion the best thing you could do if you want to have a "clean" environment is remove everything you have and install what you need.

That is where I got started. But instead people are trying to convince me to keep multiple versions, but if this is screwed up why?

The process *shouldn't* be difficult.

I wish I could figure out how. Not just what tool to work.

I believe the prior mentions to RVM were meant to indicate to you that there are ways of keeping separate "environments" if you need them.

No kidding.

For example, you might have an application that runs under Ruby 1.8.6 and Rails 2.3.5 and another one under the latest Ruby and Rails versions. The activerecord and related gems you need are going to be different for sure for between both environments. RVM will help you to keep those 2 environments separate.

I only need one environment ruby 1.8.7 and rails 2.2.2.

Pepe, thanks again.

Rob Th wrote in post #966894: [...]

I tried rvm and I just don't get it. Sorry.

What don't you get? Perhaps if you were to say what trouble you're having, we could help. But don't just give up on it.

I think you are right. I think Xcode installed some of this.

Correct. Ruby and Rails come with the Mac OS development tools, which are installed with Xcode.

Actually I do not recall any other install. I was pretty surprised to see all these versions. Not sure where they came from. This whole RoR thing makes me nervous.

In what respect?

I own a bunch of heavy equipment and I have operators and mechanics. Most RoR types are users, not mechanics. I think I am leaking hydro and need a wrencher not an operator. :slight_smile:

And when you get a mechanic, you ignore his advice. :slight_smile:

I appreciate your help. I did de-intall xcode last night using the script from Apple and it did not clean this up either.

Yikes! Now you have more problems. You need the Mac OS developer tools (in particular a C compiler) to be able to use Ruby effectively. You may have deleted your C compiler by removing Xcode. What do you get if you type gcc -v ?

Can you explain why after doing a de-install of 2.3.8, ruby -v says no ruby? See above.

What deinstallation command did you use? It wouldn't surprise me if removing Xcode removes Ruby.

If I reinstall Mac OS do you think that would make this go away and I could do a new install with just ruby 1.8.7 and rails 2.2.2.

Probably not. Instead, learn to remove the gems you have, or better yet, set up RVM (help is available if you need it) and learn to use it.

If this is beyond you, you're not ready to work with Rails. That's not meant as an insult of any sort, merely a statement of fact.

Best,

Try which ruby in Terminal to see if you don't in fact have a Ruby binary in your path. Then try locate ruby to find one. Correct your path as necessary, and try again.

I think if you re-image this machine (which will leave you with Apple's Ruby 1.8.6), then go to the first chapter of version 3 of the Agile book (which does deal with Rails 2, and has a nice install section to it) you will be able to install the precise version of Rails you desire, by using sudo gem install rails -v 2.2.2. I believe Ruby 1.8.7 came well after Rails 2.2, so you would probably be chasing errors in Rails if you tried to run it that way.

But to reiterate what others have said over and over here -- RVM is designed from its very foundation to support precisely what you state you want to do. You have a 2.2.2 application you want to get up and running and start working on. We are all trying to reach out to you and offer the slender twig of RVM because we also suspect you want to do this without hobbling your machine to more modern versions of the Rails framework. Once you do get this application up and running, you're probably going to want to develop something else in Rails 3, and that requires at minimum 1.8.7 of Ruby.

Walter

pepe,

in addition to the gem? [Yn] Removing rails

I think the above may be why rails -v no longer works, I think you have removed the executable 'rails' aswell as the gem rails 2.3.8. I don't know how this all works on a mac though

I think I must concur with the others here that you have got things in rather a mess and the easiest thing would be to use rvm to sort it out. If however you have uninstalled the development tools (compilers and so an as Marmen fears) then you will need to get them back first.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #966901:

I don't know how this all works on a mac though

That makes two of us. At least two of us that know what we don't know.

Installing xcode is not an issue. It is easy.

I pondered that question:

1. rails-2.3.8 2. rails-2.3.8 3. All versions

in addition to the gem? [Yn] Removing rails

It just not make sense to me that if you are removing a version of software you would keep the executable. Right?

I have Agile book and the O'reilly Learning book and can follow those to try an install fresh if I can just make sure I am working with a clean slate. Seem like as pepe mentioned there are lots of dependencies. I am not sure how this Mac or the other one got so many versions of rails on it. It just makes me nervous. I never let a mechanic touch my equipment unless I understand what he is going to do and most of the time I just do it myself.

Walter Davis wrote in post #966900:

Try which ruby in Terminal to see if you don't in fact have a Ruby binary in your path. Then try locate ruby to find one. Correct your path as necessary, and try again.

I think if you re-image this machine

What is re-image?

Once you do get this application up and running, you're probably going to want to develop something else in Rails 3, and that requires at minimum 1.8.7 of Ruby.

Walter

Never, this is the one and only rails app ever. I do want to get 1.8.7 on this machine and rails 2.2.2 to match the source machine.

I would actually like to eventually find a programmer to convert it off rails.

Never, this is the one and only rails app ever. I do want to get 1.8.7 on this machine and rails 2.2.2 to match the source machine.

If you are thinking about getting a programmer anyway maybe it might be wiser if you get one now to get your RoR environment straight and your application running as it should. If what you are unhappy about is the trouble you're having with it, you not being an expert, but the application is doing what it is supposed to at your satisfaction when the setup is correct I think converting the application might be a mistake. You probably will end up spending a lot more money rewriting the application than paying somebody to get your application environment straight. That's your call, though, of course.

Use the OS install disks to wipe the machine blank and re-install your target OS. Given that the Ruby libraries are part of the core OS, not just Xcode, this may be your only way forward now that you have nuked your Apple Ruby. Or, you could follow one or another of the fine Hivelogic install tutorials: google "hivelogic install ruby Leopard" (or Snow Leopard, if you're using 10.6).

Walter

I am not sure you have nuked ruby. You said in an earlier post that ruby -v failed, but I think you meant rails -v. If that is true then rvm should still be an option, provided you have not removed the development tools (or can get them back).

Colin

pepe wrote in post #966915:

If you are thinking about getting a programmer anyway maybe it might be wiser if you get one now to get your RoR environment straight and your application running as it should. If what you are unhappy about is the trouble you're having with it, you not being an expert, but the application is doing what it is supposed to at your satisfaction when the setup is correct I think converting the application might be a mistake. You probably will end up spending a lot more money rewriting the application than paying somebody to get your application environment straight. That's your call, though, of course.

This app is a web front end to a very large piece of other open source code that is written in Java. It is very database oriented and more than that I cannot say at this time...

It should have been done in java, but it was not my call at that time. I want to get the app over to a mac to be able to demo the concept and to be a guideline (working prototype) for the eventual conversion. I have many, many years of software but I just do not get rails. I see no issue with SQL for example. I know rails is a religion to a lot of folks but for this app it is just not practical long term.

Horses for courses.

See how complicated this question got. I asked how can I get rid of all the other versions and simplify my environment and I got more complexity of rvm.

Colin, correct I miss-typed Ruby is still there it is rails that does not show up in rails -v but gem list local thinks I still have it. And it looks like de-installing xcode does not remove ruby!

Also, I never heard the term re-image in the context of Mac OS X.

I suppose I am OK with ruby, it is the version I want. Maybe there is a directory that has all this rails and I can just delete it? Then reinstall. Can I just do a cmd-find rails and delete everything it finds?

Also I have been looking for a programmer to convert this but it has not been easy and this is not my primary project. I just said, let me grab the app off the ubuntu before it goes away and smack here I am.

Walter Davis wrote in post #966917: