Where to store some static data needed for the app

Hi,

I want to store 6 palettes with color information.

This info should be accessed from a couple of places in my app. From one controller and from one module I have.

I'm not sure what would be the best way to do it.

In some hashes?

red_palette = { :background => "abcdef", :header => "fedefg" } blue_paletter = { :background => "12ed34", :header => "abdefg" } ...

In yml?

red_palette:   background: abcdef   header: fedefg

I guess I could make a small module and require it, but then I need to require it two times. I'm starting to think about memory even though for this it would be very cheap anyway.

Any advices? I'm on Rails 3.0.5 Thanks.

comopasta Gr wrote in post #1024192:

Hi,

Would this make sense?

module Palettes   DARK_PALETTE = {     :background => "323232",     :header => "4d4c4d" } end

Then just:

require 'palettes' puts Palettes::DARK_PALETTE

I does the trick. I'd like to know it this is a good approach.

A nice way to do this is to place a yml file in the config folder

like my_app.yml

and read it in application.rb MY_CONFIG = YAML.load(File.read("config/my_app.yml")) unless defined? (MY_CONFIG)

you can define different files for different environments like my_app_test.yml my_app_development.yml my_app_production.yml

and load with MY_CONFIG = YAML.load(File.read("config/my_app_#{Rails.env}.yml")) unless defined?(MY_CONFIG)

comopasta Gr wrote in post #1024192:

I guess I could make a small module and require it, but then I need to require it two times. I'm starting to think about memory even though for this it would be very cheap anyway.

Sounds like you're confusing "include" with "require". You could "require" a file 50 times, but Ruby would loading it only once.

If you create a ruby module in would use "include" to include the module into a class. But, it seems like a bit of overkill to create a module that containing no methods, but only a single constant. I think I'd simply put the constant on whatever class is dealing with your color pallets.

Example:

class MyController   DARK_PALETTE = {     :background => "323232",     :header => "4d4c4d"   }   ...   ... end

Then from anywhere else you need the constant:

MyController::DARK_PALETTE

The other, probably better, option would be to setup a custom configuration YAML file that includes all your application specific constants that gets loaded at startup. That way application wide settings are separated from the application's code.

There was a Railscasts episode a good while back that showed an example of setting up a YAML Configuration File:

Hi,

This info should be accessed from a couple of places in my app. From one controller and from one module I have.

I'm not sure what would be the best way to do it.

Settingslogic

-philip