Where to meet the Rails community?

Hello folks,

my name is Elmar and I am evaluating Rails as an alternative field beside TYPO3.

This Mailing list is listed on http://rubyonrails.org as the first address of the rails community.

I find a few postings per day. Is that all? Can’t be! Is Rails dead?

Where to get in contact with the people? Where to find out how the community works? Where to find the infrastructure of Rails beyond Git?

Is there a Slack channel? Where to find, how to load and how to contribute user contributed modules. They are Gems I expect.

Thank you for advice

Elmar

#RubyOnRails on Freenode is more active than this email list. That’s the only other place I know of so far, but I am a total n00b.

There is gitter

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 1:14 AM, 'Elmar Hinz' via Ruby on Rails: Talk

I find a few postings per day. Is that all? Can't be! Is Rails dead?

Not at all. But it's a fairly mature platform, and the web is pretty flush with tutorials, blog posts, stackoverflow answers, so...

Where to get in contact with the people? Where to find out how the community works? Where to find the infrastructure of Rails beyond Git?

If you have specific questions, ask. I'm not sure I understand that last sentence TBH.

Is there a Slack channel? Where to find, how to load and how to contribute user contributed modules. They are Gems I expect.

I'm not aware of a Rails-specific Slack. But as above, it's pretty easy to find info online about using or creating Gems.

On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 1:14 AM, 'Elmar Hinz' via Ruby on Rails: Talk

> I find a few postings per day. Is that all? Can't be! Is Rails dead?

Not at all. But it's a fairly mature platform, and the web is pretty flush with tutorials, blog posts, stackoverflow answers, so...

Q&A activity has definitely shifted to stack overflow pretty majorly. .

Fred

Also another very active community is that of gorails.com. A great screencast site with a dedicated slack channel with thousands of users. All very friendly and helpful.

We’re doing this! Willing to gather all Ruby on Rails lovers to communicate and learn together:Ruby on Rails

Hey! I see that this thread recently got bumped, and I wanted to toss out a few resources for anyone that’s looking for communities and his having a hard time. Just from personal experience it definitely took me some time to find active groups of people.

Ruby on Rails Link is a really big Rails Slack. It’s got a great core group of community members, and it’s fairly big so a lot of people drop in and out. Additionally the guy behind Drifting Ruby seems to post there a lot.

Another great community is the GoRails slack channel. Unfortunately it’s tied behind membership to GoRails, but the community itself has a great set of regularly active members, and the GoRails owner, Chris Oliver, is a fantastic guy to chat with. If you’re a student anywhere, you should be able to grab something like a year for free using the GitHub student developers pack.

I see that someone mentioned that Ruby on Rails IRC channel. Does anyone know if this is still very active? I’ve poked by head in a few times, but it usually seems kind of empty.

Does anyone else have active communities that are worth sharing? I would love to learn about some more user groups from around the web.