Where put require

Paul Bergstrom wrote in post #969903:

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #969891:

I didn't realize it was a blanket prohibition.

Why can't you respect that?

I can't respect the idea that you get to decide who answers you when you post on an unmoderated public list. If you don't want answers from the public, don't post here.

I only ask you to respect me as a fellow human being, asking you to behave and interact with other people in a kind, respectful and warm manner. :slight_smile: Is that too much to ask?

I believe I have always done that; to the extent I haven't, I certainly apologize.

Several times when I have asked a question you have given me a question back like "why do you want to do that?" instead of just answering my question. Once or twice is nothing but not all the time.

It's nothing personal. You have a tendency to ask questions on this list which betray a misunderstanding of how to get the most out of Rails. It is my usual procedure -- and, on the evidence, that of many others here -- to clarify why you're asking for advice on something that doesn't seem like a good idea in the first place.

I am not going to just stick my head in the sand and tell you or anyone else how to implement a bad idea without first saying "this is a bad idea and here's how to do it better".

If you don't want advice, don't ask for it. If you ask for advice, please listen to it. Doing otherwise is not respectful to the people taking time and effort to give you the best advice we know how to give.

I didn't ask for your opinion about bundler. I asked if there is a way to require a gem but keep the gems in one place, like before. I don't understand why that question would be so hard to understand. Why make it so complicated Marnen?

I'm not making things complicated; you are. Rails explicitly makes it easy to do things in the "Rails way", and less easy to do things that its designers consider bad. That means that it will actually be less complicated if you learn the Rails way before trying to ignore it.

The Rails 3 way involves Bundler. Since it's the Rails 3 way, you should learn it before deciding to do without it.

I'm sure bundler is wonderful, but I could do without it.

Then do without it -- after learning to use it.

Is that ok with you?

It's not up to me.

You seem like a person who get nervous when someone is not following the rules. Is that true? Is that the problem here?

No. I pity people who choose an opinionated framework such as Rails, and then make life hard for themselves by choosing to ignore that framework's conventions in the name of "simplicity". It's actually simpler in most cases to learn Rails' conventions than to fight them.

Now, Rails didn't get everything right. The core team made a wonderfully testable framework, but built terrible testing tools -- which I know because I learned Test::Unit, then discarded it.

But if I thought that (say) it would be simpler to do without an ORM like ActiveRecord, I'd probably stop using Rails.

Best,

Paul Bergstrom wrote in post #969907:

David Kahn wrote in post #969902:

Rspec, Cucumber, Capybara, xpath and who knows what else at the same time

I get exhausted of hearing about all that stuff :slight_smile:

Just kidding. I see your point. I'm kind of full with knowledge. I'm tired of always having to learn new things. Once I was eager to do so, but not anymore.

[...]

Then please stick with your old configuration. Trying to learn Rails 3 and make it work just like Rails 2 is an exercise in futility. To learn new stuff, you have to *learn* *new* stuff.

Best,

David Kahn wrote in post #969902:

Btw, thanks for the input and you effort to help.

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #969909:

Then please stick with your old configuration. Trying to learn Rails 3 and make it work just like Rails 2 is an exercise in futility. To learn new stuff, you have to *learn* *new* stuff.

You just don't get it.

Paul Bergstrom wrote in post #969914:

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #969909:

You just don't get it.

Funny, I'd say the same to you. What do you think I don't get?

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #969916:

You just don't get it.

How to behave.

Listen to yourself, to you answers.

Paul Bergstrom wrote in post #969924:

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #969916:

You just don't get it.

How to behave.

Listen to yourself, to you answers.

[...]

I've written nothing that I'd consider inappropriate -- nothing that I'd have any problem receiving as a response from someone else. Obviously, your standards are different. That's OK -- no two people think alike.

I don't much like ESR's "How to Ask Smart Questions", but I think I'd refer you to it at this point, particularly refer you to How To Ask Questions The Smart Way .

Best,

No, you canā€™t.

Lunks wrote in post #969933:

No, you can't.

Ok. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Michael Pavling wrote in post #969893:

...it's a shame really... some people just don't seem to want help. What's the sense in using software that declaims "convention over configuration", then ignoring conventions, and moaning the configuration is too hard?

I would like help. That's why I ask.

Nothing wrong with conventions. But sometimes it's good to challenge them. Bundler seems like a smart idea, for the most part. But for me, right now, it has made it a bit more complex.

I can't respect the idea that you get to decide who answers you when you post on an unmoderated public list. If you don't want answers from the public, don't post here.

+1

I would respect that if someone ask me. A matter of social intelligence and respect. Common sense really. :slight_smile:

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote in post #969928:

Paul Bergstrom wrote in post #969924:

I've written nothing that I'd consider inappropriate -- nothing that I'd have any problem receiving as a response from someone else. Obviously, your standards are different. That's OK -- no two people think alike.

It's the way you say it. I don't have anything against you as a person. Thank you for your effort to help but please consider how you do it.

If you want to require things by yourself:

Gemfile: gem 'will_paginate', :require => nil

Then bundler won't automatically require the library. It will just set proper load path to make sure the the right version of will_paginete will be loaded. You might want to add require 'will_paginate' at the bottom of application.rb. The library will be availible in the application and rake tasks.

I do not recommend it however.

Robert Pankowecki

Robert Pankowecki wrote in post #970001:

If you want to require things by yourself:

Gemfile: gem 'will_paginate', :require => nil

Then bundler won't automatically require the library. It will just set proper load path to make sure the the right version of will_paginete will be loaded. You might want to add require 'will_paginate' at the bottom of application.rb. The library will be availible in the application and rake tasks.

I do not recommend it however.

Robert Pankowecki http://robert.pankowecki.pl

Good to know.

Have I understood it correctly, that if I add gem 'will_paginate', and just that, it will use whatever will_paginate I already have in my gem list?

And what about i18n. Do I need to add that in the gemfile? Previously you didn't have to require it. It was part of rails anyway. And as long as it was in the gem list it worked.

Just kidding. I see your point. I'm kind of full with knowledge. I'm tired of always having to learn new things. Once I was eager to do so, but not anymore.

I had a good life with Rails 2. Things worked well and I felt I had learned all I needed to have a good flow in my development (of my own few apps). Then came Rails 3 with some "cool new features". :slight_smile:

If you have a problem learning new ways to do things, then you probably made a mistake choosing Rails. Maybe even a mistake in becoming a software developer in the first place.

The only thing one can count on in this business is change. Rails changes faster than any framework I've ever worked with. I'm not saying that it is a bad thing. Rails 3 much improved IMHO over Rails 2 because of the changes, and Bundler is one of the best additions of all of them. Dependency management in Rails 2 and prior was turning into a nightmare.

P.S. No worries. I'm not going to turn this into an argument. This will be the last post you'll see from me on this subject. The above is intended only as advice from someone that's been building software for a really long time.

Robert Walker wrote in post #970096:

If you have a problem learning new ways to do things, then you probably made a mistake choosing Rails. Maybe even a mistake in becoming a software developer in the first place.

No problem at all. I like to live on the edge. Over the years I've become more careful and not taking leaps to fast, risking a working environment. That's why it took me a while to try rails 3.

There's no difference between rails and unix, css, html, or php. They always evolve. And I normally like to follow to the best of my ability.

I'm not a natural programmer (I think that's what you mean). And I don't think you have to be. Sorry but I have to say that it's a really stupid thing to say. I have skills that you don't and which are essential for the apps I develop.

You could turn that around. Many software developers don't have a clue about design, and the importance of design. They might be very skilled in the technical part, pure programmers, but terrible in design which is bad for the end user. I don't judge people like that but when I get stubborn feedback from people who might be good at rails but terrible in design I can't take them too seriously.

I'm a designer and design strategist with a master of design management that has learned how to develop for the web since a long time. I've done many things for others but my main objective is to develop an app based on my method, that has taken me several years to create.

The only thing one can count on in this business is change. Rails changes faster than any framework I've ever worked with. I'm not saying that it is a bad thing. Rails 3 much improved IMHO over Rails 2 because of the changes, and Bundler is one of the best additions of all of them. Dependency management in Rails 2 and prior was turning into a nightmare.

I'm eager to get going with Rails 3. Bundler looks good but I didn't have nightmares with dependency management. Not at all. Not for my situation. With rails 3 it's become more complex. It's just a fact.

P.S. No worries. I'm not going to turn this into an argument. This will be the last post you'll see from me on this subject. The above is intended only as advice from someone that's been building software for a really long time.

And so have I. But as I said. I'm not a natural programmer. But I try to be a software developer and I think Rails is much easier to use than e g php. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Robert Walker wrote in post #970096:

If you have a problem learning new ways to do things, then you probably

made a mistake choosing Rails. Maybe even a mistake in becoming a

software developer in the first place.

No problem at all. I like to live on the edge. Over the years Iā€™ve

become more careful and not taking leaps to fast, risking a working

environment. Thatā€™s why it took me a while to try rails 3.

Thereā€™s no difference between rails and unix, css, html, or php. They

always evolve. And I normally like to follow to the best of my ability.

Iā€™m not a natural programmer (I think thatā€™s what you mean). And I donā€™t

think you have to be. Sorry but I have to say that itā€™s a really stupid

thing to say. I have skills that you donā€™t and which are essential for

the apps I develop.

First, I am a bit ashamed to still be following this thread after all the name calling, but it is in place of my Mexican soap opera the last couple days :slight_smile:

But seriously, this is a very interesting question. I have gone through a seemingly unproductive few months taking on Rails 3, 1.9.2, Cucumber, Rspec, Capybara, learning to write xpaths, Steak, Shoulda, etcā€¦ I finally took a step back in the last few weeks and thought about things and what was right and what was not.

I consider myself an average programmer with above average creativity. That is why I took up Rails, to get fast and even able to realize my ideas which I felt were too difficult in .Net. Also the idea that I could become adept at Ruby and have a strong scripting language to do whatever.

Development tools, languages, etc in general are created, developed and evolved by the top percent of people. This is good but one thing that I have realized is that I have to know where my core talents are and what makes sense to use and what not. What is empirically productive for one person may drain another. There are no studies before adoption in general ā€“ or at best they are case studies and a question of taste and aesthetics often. I have not heard anyone bring up this question, even the fact of individual talents, abilities, learning styles, etc. as they relate to programmers and new technology. Matz is the first who I ever heard speak of ā€˜programmer happinessā€™, and that endeared me a great deal.

For example, I believe that every additional DSL one needs to learn is additional mental resources. Some people have those to spare and others not or prefer to put those resources on other concerns. I found Cucumber rather inefficient as the ā€˜plain Englishā€™ was itself a DSL but it did not afford me to forget about the lower level which was also a DSL ā€“ I still had to deal directly with web steps. This is why I have moved to Steak. I think Cucumber is great, but in the interest of my own happiness, productivity and aesthetics I made a change.

I also think that every additional component which needs to be configured also eats at the time and mental resources. My live in the .NET world was like this and I would rather stick my hand in a vegomatic than go back to this. Eventhough I have kept Rspec I seriously considered going back to Test/Unit so I could cut another possible set of concerns that may or may not arise.

To date I am happy where I am now. My speed is coming back and I have learned an amazing amount, and even have started to have some opinions.

Just some thoughtsā€¦ the challenge is to keep an open mind to the new but be able to kill off quickly that which is oneā€™s betrayal. I can say that I have seen some very much better things in Rails 3 ā€“ bundler is great, and I do like what they did with Active Record.

Paul Bergstrom wrote in post #970168:

And so have I. But as I said. I'm not a natural programmer. But I try to be a software developer and I think Rails is much easier to use than e g php. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Actually that should be web developer. A bit tired when I wrote that and missed it. I'm not into rails because of software development. Not sure why anyone would.

David Kahn wrote in post #970173:

Well said. :slight_smile:

Please quote the text of the message you are replying to so that others can follow the thread. As I receive this on the mailing list it is not at all obvious which is post #970173, so unless I spend time tracking it down I have no Idea what you are referring to. Thanks

Colin

David Kahn wrote in post #969813: