where do I report this DateTime bug?

I have isolated what appears to be a bug in the Rails extensions to DateTime, but I don't know where to report it.

I have a standalone file to demonstrate the bug, but the punch line is that this code:

TestRecord.create!(:f_datetime => (expected = DateTime.jd(2000000)))     found = TestRecord.first.f_datetime

puts("expected == found => #{expected == found}")     puts("expected = #{expected.to_formatted_s(:rfc822)}")     puts("found = #{found.to_formatted_s(:rfc822)}")

generates this response:

expected == found => true     expected = Wed, 14 Sep 0763 00:00:00 +0000     found = Sat, 14 Sep 0763 00:00:00 +0000

So. The dates are equal, but was that day a Wednesday or a Saturday?

Can you post the contents of schema.rb section for the table. Also it would be interesting to put in some inspect debug for expected and found.

Colin

Can you post the contents of schema.rb section for the table. Also it would be interesting to put in some inspect debug for expected and found.

Colin:

Done. See Demonstration of bug in DateTime#to_formatted_s(:rfc822) · GitHub for code and results.

As for "inspect debug for expected and found", I assume you mean like this:

puts("expected = #{expected.to_formatted_s(:rfc822)} (#{expected.inspect})")     puts("found = #{found.to_formatted_s(:rfc822)} (#{found.inspect})")

=>

expected = Wed, 14 Sep 0763 00:00:00 +0000 (Wed, 14 Sep 0763 00:00:00 +0000) found = Sat, 14 Sep 0763 00:00:00 +0000 (Sat, 14 Sep 0763 00:00:00 UTC +00:00)

HTH.

- ff

I've created:

https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/6814

... which seems like the correct place to report this. I'm sure I'll hear from the rails admin team soon enough if that's not the right place.

- ff

Colin:

Done. See Demonstration of bug in DateTime#to_formatted_s(:rfc822) · GitHub for code and results.

As for "inspect debug for expected and found", I assume you mean like this:

puts("expected = #{expected.to_formatted_s(:rfc822)} (#{expected.inspect})") puts("found = #{found.to_formatted_s(:rfc822)} (#{found.inspect})")

What is the class of found?

Colin

Also I don't think you have told us which versions of ruby and rails you are using.

Colin

Colin Law wrote in post #1065800:

What is the class of found?

I updated the above mentioned gist. 'expected' is a DateTme, 'found' is ActiveSupport::TimeWithZone.

Also I don't think you have told us which versions of ruby and rails you are using.

Apologies, this was buried at the end of the OP:

PS: I'm using postgresql with Ruby 1.93 and Rails 3.2.1

But this is all now moot: I posted this as a Rails issue:

two DateTime objects are == but print differently · Issue #6814 · rails/rails · GitHub

where @pixeltrix patiently educated me on the anomalies of ancient calendar systems. The best line was "[calendar reforms] can lead to oddities like William Shakespeare and Miguel de Cervantes dying on the same date but 10 days apart." He also suggests using #gregorian to adjust the datetime before converting to time, e.g:

>> DateTime.jd(2000000).gregorian     => Wed, 18 Sep 0763 00:00:00 +0000

So: not a bug. Just a reality of calendar reforms.