Where did this value in a form come from?

Newb here.

I have a form and a value that is being displayed ... and I have no idea where the value came from.

I have done a   <%= debugger; '' %> in the form and, indeed, the debugger stops at the statement.

I have tried to trace through the code to see where the value came from ... and I gave up.

So ... what in Rails initializes the fields of a form?

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

Newb here.

I have a form and a value that is being displayed ... and I have no idea where the value came from.

I have done a   <%= debugger; '' %> in the form and, indeed, the debugger stops at the statement.

I have tried to trace through the code to see where the value came from ... and I gave up.

You're going to have to describe the problem in more detail, with actual code, if you want help. And what do your tests say?

If you're using form_for -- and you didn't say if you were! -- then the form is initialized from the supplied model object.

Best,

Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

Newb here.

You're going to have to describe the problem in more detail, with actual code, if you want help. And what do your tests say?

If you're using form_for -- and you didn't say if you were! -- then the form is initialized from the supplied model object.

Ok ... here's the code

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

Newb here.

Ok ... here's the code

---------------------------------------------

\zauth\app\views\users\new.html.erb

Note: This isn't relevant to the issue at hand, but I *highly* recommend Haml instead of ERb.

<fieldset> <legend>Signup for eMeantime Membership</legend> <%= error_messages_for :user %>

<% form_for :user, :url => users_path do |f| -%>

<p><label for="login">Login:</label><br/>   <%= f.text_field :login %> <br/>   <cite>Ex., aedenfield</cite>

<p><label for="email">Email:</label><br/>   <%= debugger; '' -%>   <%= f.text_field :email %><br/>   <cite>Ex., amy@zepho.com. A valid email is required for an active account.</cite>

<cite> is for book titles, not hints. Learn to use HTML properly.

<p><label for="password">Password:</label><br/>   <%= f.password_field :password %><br/>

This all looks fine.

[...]

I apologize for the length of the code but since I am lost as to where in the model the code initializes the form ... I provided everything.

Read the form_for docs and the Rails guides.

The fields that seem to be inappropriately initialized are the fields associated with :email (definitely) and :password (maybe).

Initialized with what? You've provided everything but the essential info. :slight_smile:

The :password field has big dots in it ... and it _may_ be initialized ... I can't tell.

What do you mean, you can't tell? What is the generated HTML like?

Best,

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

Ok ... this code is/was provided as example code from http://www.rubyplus.org/episodes/20-Extended-RESTful-Authentication-Rails-2-App.html

I downloaded the movie and the source code ... neither of which seem to be available any more

Attached, a screenshot. Where "Dave" (I presume "Dave Thomas") came from is completely beyond me.

Ok ... here's the code

---------------------------------------------

\zauth\app\views\users\new.html.erb

Note: This isn't relevant to the issue at hand, but I *highly* recommend Haml instead of ERb.

<fieldset> <legend>Signup for eMeantime Membership</legend> <%= error_messages_for :user %>

<% form_for :user, :url => users_path do |f| -%>

<p><label for="login">Login:</label><br/>   <%= f.text_field :login %> <br/>   <cite>Ex., aedenfield</cite>

<p><label for="email">Email:</label><br/>   <%= debugger; '' -%>   <%= f.text_field :email %><br/>   <cite>Ex., amy@zepho.com. A valid email is required for an active account.</cite>

Thank you ... but I did not write that code. I believe a person by the name of Bala Paranj (Join Collage) created a video tutorial as well as source code. I downloaded both ... both seem to be inaccessible now.

<p><label for="password">Password:</label><br/>   <%= f.password_field :password %><br/>

This all looks fine.

[...]

I apologize for the length of the code but since I am lost as to where in the model the code initializes the form ... I provided everything.

What do you think I've been doing for the last several weeks?

The fields that seem to be inappropriately initialized are the fields associated with :email (definitely) and :password (maybe).

Initialized with what? You've provided everything but the essential info. :slight_smile:

The :password field has big dots in it ... and it _may_ be initialized ... I can't tell.

What do you mean, you can't tell? What is the generated HTML like?

The screen shot (attached) source looks like this:

Hello all,

Sorry for jump in… But, I have to say “I’m totally lost in this thread…" What is the exactly question from the very beginning?

Do you mean those “Dave” and the “Passwords” ?

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

Ok ... this code is/was provided as example code from Join Collage

Yeah, I thought I saw restful_authentication spew in your User model. I would strongly advise against using restful_authentication, precisely because it clutters up your models. Try Authlogic instead.

I downloaded the movie and the source code ... neither of which seem to be available any more

Attached, a screenshot. Where "Dave" (I presume "Dave Thomas") came from is completely beyond me.

Well, it's not in your HTML. Unless you've got some JS in there, my best guess is that it's coming from your Web browser, which is probably trying to "helpfully" autofill usernames and passwords. Try a different browser or a different computer, and I'll bet you these entries won't be there. I don't think this is coming from Rails.

[...]

<cite>Ex., amy@zepho.com. A valid email is required for an active account.</cite>

Thank you ... but I did not write that code.

Whoever wrote it, it's bad and should be corrected.

[...]

I wouldn't venture to guess. :slight_smile: Best,

Well, it's not in your HTML. Unless you've got some JS in there, my best guess is that it's coming from your Web browser, which is probably trying to "helpfully" autofill usernames and passwords. Try a different browser or a different computer, and I'll bet you these entries won't be there. I don't think this is coming from Rails.

Yup ... I installed the Authologic tutorial app   GitHub - binarylogic/authlogic_example: An example rails app using the Authlogic authentication library and lo and behold ... Dave and his password showed up again.

That Dave guy is sure popular.

So I tried both apps on IE instead of FireFox and ... no Dave.

Goes to show you, if you can't find a bug then either you're looking in the wrong place or it isn't a bug.

Thank you for suggesting a different browser.

[...]

<cite>Ex., amy@zepho.com. A valid email is required for an active account.</cite>

What tag do you suggest for a sample email address?

[...]

I wouldn't venture to guess. :slight_smile:

It's not what you are thing.

OK, so why is restful authentication not as good as authlogic? The sample from Bala Paranj offers email confirmation and the sample from Authlogic does not.

Am I looking at a ton of work to implement the email confirmation via Authlogic?

Ralph Shnelvar wrote:

Yup ... I installed the Authologic tutorial app   GitHub - binarylogic/authlogic_example: An example rails app using the Authlogic authentication library and lo and behold ... Dave and his password showed up again.

That Dave guy is sure popular.

So I tried both apps on IE instead of FireFox and ... no Dave.

Goes to show you, if you can't find a bug then either you're looking in the wrong place or it isn't a bug.

Thank you for suggesting a different browser.

You're most welcome!

[...]

What tag do you suggest for a sample email address?

There is probably no tag made for the purpose (except perhaps <samp>), so I might use <span class='hint'>.

[...]

I wouldn't venture to guess. :slight_smile:

It's not what you are thing.

:smiley:

OK, so why is restful authentication not as good as authlogic?

I already explained that: it puts all sorts of crap in your User model instead of keeping it separate. Authlogic is also more flexible and uses a better architecture.

The sample from Bala Paranj offers email confirmation and the sample from Authlogic does not.

Authlogic can do that.

Am I looking at a ton of work to implement the email confirmation via Authlogic?

I don't believe so.

Best,