when is_a? fails and a Foo isn't a Foo

This is a weird one. It would be one thing if is_a? failed consistently but if I refresh the page the second attempt always works.

I have the following code that works fine every time:

@node = Node.find(params[:id]) @node.is_a?(Node) # => always will return true

However I recently added an accounts layer to my code and now the query looks like this:

class Account   has_many :nodes end

@node = current_account.nodes.find(params[:id]) @node.class # => Node @node.is_a?(Node) # => false on first request, true on subsequent ones

The sql query generated from the above query looks fine: SELECT "nodes".* FROM "nodes" WHERE ("nodes".account_id = 1) AND ("nodes"."id" = 42) LIMIT 1

But something funny is going on because not even the following works: @node = current_account.nodes.find(params[:id]) @node # => #<Node:0x00000104cea108> @node.class # => Node @node.class == Node # => false

I appreciate any input. Been banging my head on this one for a while now and making no progress.

More info to work off. When I swap out rails shorthand query of

current_account.nodes.find(params[:id])

with

Node.find(params[:id],     :conditions => ['account_id = ?', current_account.id])

everything works fine.

Could it be something that has to do with ARel and instead of getting an object as a result you get an “active relation”/proxy?

That was my first thought but it doesn't appear to be the case. If it were the class of the returned object should be ActiveRecord::Relation instead of Node.

It's worth noting that class is a method like any other in ruby and can easily be overwritten. I don't think this is what is happening here. To me, this smells like a code reloading issue. If most of your code is getting reloading, but Account isn't (eg because it's in a plugin or something like that), then you can have multiple versions of the same class in memory. Node refers to the most current one, but the Account class may be holding onto a previous version, in which case user.nodes will use that version. If changing the cache_classes setting (and restarting the app) makes a difference then your problem is probably a code reloading thing. The only unusual thing is that with code reloading things, normally it's the first request that works and subsequent ones that are weird, not the other way around.

Fred

I think you nailed it Fred. Restarting the app with cache_classes on fixed the error.

Both the Account and Node models are simple classes though, so I'm not sure where the reloading is becoming a problem.

Why wouldn't simply restarting the server with cache_classes off fix something like this as long as I don't modify any code? I tried and the only thing that got rid of the error was to turn off cache_classes.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but the current_account instance is loaded in a before_filter. Could that have anything to do with this?

don't think so. Another thing that can cause this sort of issue is if you use require to require parts of your app (rather than letting rails do things for you)

Fred

In case anyone else runs into this issue here's the solution: https://rails.lighthouseapp.com/projects/8994/tickets/5497-default-scope-and-class-reloading

Looks like it's been fixed as of Rails 3.0.2