What type of relationship do I use?

I'm a bit unsure how to model a relationship in ActiveRecord. It's a "has many through" with nested attributes. I already asked on SO but no luck so far. I would appreciate it if you could have a look and point me in the right direction. Feel to answer here or there! The question is here: ruby on rails - What active record association do I use in this scenario? - Stack Overflow

I won't repeat myself, as the question does a good job of explaining, but I want to create users through accounts, and model the relationship through a relationship table.

if account have many user and user belongs_to account then this accepts_nested_attributes_for is write in account model. for more detail…see my github account https://github.com/vishalsingh/multiple_upload_photo .download it.hope this will work for you.

Better to repeat the question here. I cannot answer the questions without quoting it here which would mean I would have to copy bits from the link and paste them in here, which is too much effort. Also many will not be bothered to take the time to go and look somewhere else for your question.

Colin

Colin, I figured out most of it. But stayed stuck on a detail.

My app now has Account, User, and Role models. The Role model links the Account and User models. User has_many roles, and has_many accounts through roles. User accepts_nested_properties for accounts.

Everything works except for setting an extra attribute on the Role model. The Role model has a role_type column that I want to set when the records are created. It keeps showing up blank though.

Basically, when the User and the Account objects are created, I want the Role model that joins them to have “owner” in the role_type column. But it’s showing up blank. I feel like I am mixing up “ownership” with “roles”, yet it seems natural to store the in the same table. I thought I could use inheritance to simplify it, but it’s causing more headaches. I can’t change the type column arbitrarily if I wanted to change the role of a use for example.

My questions are: How do I set the role_type column? And is it stupid? It doesn’t seem like a good way to set up something meant to be secure in such a way.

Should I use inheritance instead and create separate associations for each role type?

Models:

class User < ActiveRecord::Base

attr_accessible :name, :email, :password, :password_confirmation, :accounts, :accounts_attributes

has_many :roles

has_many :accounts, through: :roles

accepts_nested_attributes_for :accounts

end

class Account < ActiveRecord::Base

attr_accessible :title

has_many :roles

has_many :users, through: “roles”

end

class Role < ActiveRecord::Base

attr_accessible :account_id, :user_id, :role_type

belongs_to :account

belongs_to :user

end

Controller:

def new

@user = User.new

@role = @user.roles.build(role_type: “owner”)

@account = @user.accounts.build

end

def create

@user = User.new(params[:user])

if @user.save

redirect_to root_path

else

render ‘new’

end

end

View

<%= simple_form_for @user do |f| %>