webrtc - anyone done multi video ?

hi,

i have just finished a webrtc chat via action cable, but before spending even more time on it trying to get video on as well, i was wondering if anyone can share any ‘tips’ or guides.

thank you all in advance

Have you looked at this yet? Twilio Video | Twilio

Walter

yes thank you, used them for sms…

I meant, specifically, their new open-source video offering. They have a bunch of quick-start code that you can use to build a whole custom videoconferencing rig. I haven't dug into it in depth, but Twilio usually do a very thorough job of documenting (and writing) their applications.

Walter

uh, i didnt know they had open sourced parts of it. was looking at https://www.twilio.com/video/pricing and thats usually just a bummer…

thx though!

There are quite a few pieces of infrastructure required to deliver a real time video chat solution. You’ll have to look into STUN and TURN servers and how you’d handle signalling between clients.

I’d suggest reading Build the backend services needed for a WebRTC app and the documenation on MDN Peer-to-peer communications with WebRTC - Developer guides | MDN.

Is there anything in particular you’d like to know? With regards to Rails?

As a first goal I’d try and get a P2P video call going with the simplest signalling available, since you’e already built a chat via AC maybe use that. For testing you can get by with Google’s STUN server stun.l.google.com:19302 and skip the TURN server for now.

1 Like