web services and associations

Hi guys, I'm exploring the realm of web services and I can't work out if this is possible.

If I return a Questionnaire object from an action, the relevant part of the SOAP response looks like

<return n2:arrayType="n1:Questionnaire[1]"           xmlns:n2="Error;           xsi:type="n2:Array">         <item>           <id xsi:type="xsd:int">1</id>           <name xsi:type="xsd:string">Desserts</name>           <description xsi:type="xsd:string">A survey designed to observe current preferences for dessert foods</description>           <rubric xsi:type="xsd:string"></rubric>         </item>       </return>

Now, a Questionnaire intrinsically has_many :questions (Question objects), and I'd like to be able to pass those in the same request - I don't think that SOAP requires <item>s to be single depth, surely it would be a bit useless using XML in that case.

Ideally I would like a way to get the response looking something like the following (or whatever Rails would require)

<return n2:arrayType="n1:Questionnaire[1]"           xmlns:n2="Error;           xsi:type="n2:Array">         <item>           <id xsi:type="xsd:int">1</id>           <name xsi:type="xsd:string">Kyanmedia Desserts</name>           <description xsi:type="xsd:string">A survey designed to observe current preferences for dessert foods</description>           <rubric xsi:type="xsd:string"></rubric>           <questions>             <item>               <id xsi:type="xsd:int">1</id>               <!-- more Question data -->             </item>           </questions>         </item>       </return>

Similarly, would the same be possible with arguments to API functions (i.e. passing in nested data from the remote point)?

Any references you can point me to would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Gareth

Gareth Adams <gareth.adams@...> writes:

[...]

Now, a Questionnaire intrinsically has_many :questions (Question objects), and I'd like to be able to pass those in the same request - I don't think that SOAP requires <item>s to be single depth, surely it would be a bit useless using XML in that case.

[...]

I guess I'm asking if I can put anything in an API definition similar to :include in ActiveRecord