Views/index to views/show loses javascript functionality

I am testing a local copy of my website using Mongrel trying to introduce a scriptaculous multi-level drop down menu. the menu is a partial that is loaded into every layout I have many pages with their individual layout file. When I jump from page to page(index to index) all works OK. When I jump from any "view/index" to "view/show" I lose the javascript and the drop down menu only works on the first level. Can anyone shed some light on why this happens and how I can solve it. In my layouts heads I have the following:- <head>   <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8" />   <title>Blogpictures: <%= controller.action_name %></title>   <%= stylesheet_link_tag 'style' %>

<script src="javascripts/prototype.js" type="text/javascript"></

<script src="javascripts/scriptaculous.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script type='text/javascript' src='javascripts/menu.js'></script> </head> In the source html both index and show has exactly the same head (except title) I am using the control.js protype.js etc that came with the scriptaculous download also using the latest versions of Ruby, Rails, Gems etc Gems etc.

I am testing a local copy of my website using Mongrel trying to introduce a scriptaculous multi-level drop down menu. the menu is a partial that is loaded into every layout I have many pages with their individual layout file. When I jump from page to page(index to index) all works OK. When I jump from any "view/index" to "view/show" I lose the javascript and the drop down menu only works on the first level. Can anyone shed some light on why this happens and how I can solve it. In my layouts heads I have the following:- <head> <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8" /> <title>Blogpictures: <%= controller.action_name %></title> <%= stylesheet_link_tag 'style' %>

<script src="javascripts/prototype.js" type="text/javascript"></ > <script src="javascripts/scriptaculous.js" type="text/javascript"></script> <script type='text/javascript' src='javascripts/menu.js'></script> </head>

Those are relative paths, and almost certainly only work from the root of your site. It greatly helps when developing to use a tool like Firebug which will show you that the javascript files are 404ing.

And is there a reason you're not using javascript_include_tag?

"Thanks for that I am not an expert Ruby on Rails programmer. I suspect that the "show" is relative to the "index" and the index is relative to the root. I will go and read up on Javascript_include_tag. I do use firebug and oops! yes it is flagging a 404 error. now to solve it.

Thanks for the above javascript_include_tag solved the problem. I should learn to use Ruby all the time instead of a mixture of ruby and HTML. Thanks againThanks for the above javascript_include_tag solved the problem. I should learn to use Ruby all the time instead of a mixture of ruby and HTML. Thanks again