JOB TITLE: Engineering (Director or Vice President)
LOCATION: Currently located in San Jose – Moving to Mountain View area
(94043) in Jan 2012
REPORTS TO: CTO - Founder
JOB PURPOSE: Directly responsible for the overall administration,
coordination, and evaluation of the technology engineering platform,
staff, and technologies.
Company Description: The client has built a collaborative platform for
social expression that allows customers to create photo books and
scrapbooks with a free, online scrapbooking editor. Customers can then
share their creations online for free, post them to social networks,
or order them in print as high quality printed photo books.
The client is a start-up that offers all the same benefits you’d find
at the Bay Area’s hottest companies. Every employee is an owner –
along with competitive compensation packages, you will get a
meaningful stake in the company. They have full medical/dental/vision
coverage, 15 days paid time off, and all the shiny goodies you need to
get your job done: a brand new Mac laptop and a big flat-screen
monitor. They provide breakfast every day, regular company lunches,
tons of snacks, and they are kind of crazy about drinks too: we have a
fridge stocked with Odwallas and beer, over 20 different kinds of tea
and four different ways to make coffee – plenty of fuel to keep you
Essential Duties And Responsibilities
• Manage a team of 15-20 software (Ruby-on-Rails, Flex, UI) and system
• Recruit top talent in Ruby-on-Rails and Flex as well as system
engineers for available position. Building out the engineering team
using very high standard of code quality and code practices.
• In this role you will work directly with the company co-Founder and
CTO, a 5 + year RoR veteran himself and co-author.
• Grow expanding infrastructure and enable client to keep up with fast
growing customer base
• Responsible for network and system architecture, scaling, monitoring
• Contribute to planning efforts for disaster recovery, capacity
expansion, component upgrading and system hardening.
• Day-to-day management of the primary revenue-generating, customer-
facing application environments.
• Mentor and lead software engineering team to achieve business goals
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, or
related field (MS or Ph.D. a plus.)
• Experienced with *nix architecture (Unix, Linux – RedHat, Fedora,
• Virtualization infrastructure experience (Zen, virtual box, KVM).
• Ruby web framework (Rails, Merb, Sinatra) experience*; Experienced
with Ruby programming and MVC architecture.
• Automated integration testing (Cucumber, Webrat, Capybara, Selenium)
experience*; Unit testing (TestUnit, RSpec) experience.
• Obsessively strives to create the most modular, concise and
maintainable code possible – beautiful code to you doesn’t mean pretty
• Experience working on Agile teams (pair programming, refactoring,
story writing and estimation).
• Knowledge of debian GNU / Linux, S3, EC2 (Amazon Web Service or AWS
exp), MySQL / PostgreSQL (configuration, administration, syntax and
query optimization) is highly desired.
• Comfortable working with or learning: Chef (Puppet), Nginx, Unicorn,
(webserver exp.), Ruby, MySQL, Memcache, Varnish, (caching), RabbitMQ
and distributed hash tables (Cassandra, Voldimort, MongoDB, Redis).
• Passionate. Driven. High achiever. You challenge yourself and
everyone around you to excellence.
• Extremely hard working. You should be ready to make this
organization a priority in your life.
Work with successful and intelligent team members who all have one
common goal – and that’s working together to achieve business goals
and ambitions – while having a good time and enjoying it !! It is a
casual (yet professional) start-up work environment, working with some
interesting and intriguing individuals and success Silicon Valley
professionals and technical talent.
For IMMEDIATE consideration, please forward a copy of your
chronological resume to:
Strategi LLC - Union Square, San Francisco
LinkedIn.com Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/strategi
SF Job Recruiting Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/x-19521-SF-Job-Recruiting-Examiner