Variable scope in rails controller

Hi,

I need to access one variable in entire controller i.e it is accessible to all actions in controller.

I had tried with session and class variable but for example

def create    document_id = get_document    @@document_id = session[:document_id] = document_id end

def validate    if document_id == (@@document_id || session[:document_id])      true   else     false   end end

it works some time , some time uninitialized constant error for class variable and session token is null when I refresh the browser.

I know session variable stored in server side but when I request multiple times it returns null value.

i am also using before filter for that task, but no use.

please suggest me.

Hi,

I need to access one variable in entire controller i.e it is accessible to all actions in controller.

I had tried with session and class variable but for example

def create    document_id = get_document    @@document_id = session[:document_id] = document_id end

def validate    if document_id == (@@document_id || session[:document_id])      true   else     false   end end

it works some time , some time uninitialized constant error for class variable and session token is null when I refresh the browser.

I know session variable stored in server side but when I request multiple times it returns null value.

i am also using before filter for that task, but no use.

If you want a variable that has to be determined once for each request but is available in all actions then before_filter is the way to go. If you want a variable that persists from request to request (such as current logged in user) then the session is what you want.

Give us more detail on exactly what you are trying to achieve.

Colin