Validation fails but objects seems to have the values

Hello everyone i am trying to save a nested model but it will always fail because 2 fields are missing I tried to examine what happens so i print the object to yaml, here s what i got:

- &id001 !ruby/object:Contract   attributes:     price:     room_id:     start_date: 15/09/2009     created_at:     is_consecutive: false     same_sex: false     comments:     updated_at:     has_keys: false     touched_by:     amount_to_keep: 0     house_id:     user_id: 0     paid_percent: 0.0     has_signed: false     shared: true     house_rating: 0     deposit_returned: false     service_rating: 0     booking_date:     end_date: 14/02/2010     active: false   attributes_cache:     start_date:     end_date:   changed_attributes: {}

errors: !ruby/object:ActiveRecord::Errors     base: *id001     errors:       base:       - !ruby/object:ActiveRecord::Error         attribute: :base         base: *id001         message: Please tell us when your rental period should start         options: {}

type: Please tell us when your rental period should start       - !ruby/object:ActiveRecord::Error         attribute: :base         base: *id001         message: Please tell us when your rental period should end         options: {}

type: Please tell us when your rental period should end   new_record: true

The only fields that i am checking for presence are the start_date and end_date as you can see in the yaml they have a value but then validation fails.

Thanx a lot for your time

Could it be that the DB itself ha constraints you're not thinking of? For example, not nullable fields that are getting a null.

Are you using a bang method (save! or create!)? If you're not, change it at least for testing, it will most likely make the app. raise an error and might be very informative. If you are using your_object.save it will only return true/false and finding out what is wrong is going to be more complicated.

Posting some code might also help others to help you.

I found the errors 2 days ago, it is quite strange. I was saving the dates with this format dd/mm/yy That would work for parent model but not the nested! I had to change the date to yy-mm-dd for the nested object and it just worked!