Validating uniqueness of field with utf8 chars fails with mysql

Hi!

While trying to get the (edge) rails test suite to pass on my system i encounter two failures that are showing up in the native mysql suite and are passing with postgresql and sqlite. Both are taking place when validating the uniqueness of string fields that contain utf8 chars.

1. activerecord/test/cases/validation/uniqueness_validation_test.rb:54

2. activerecord/test/cases/validation/uniqueness_validation_test.rb: 241

Here is an examplary failing test:

def test_validate_uniqueness_with_utf8_chars     Topic.validates_uniqueness_of(:title)

Topic.create("title" => "一二三四五")     assert !Topic.new("title" => "一二三四五").valid?, "Shouldn't be valid." end

result:

2) Failure: test_validate_uniqueness_with_utf8_chars(UniquenessValidationTest)     [/Users/mhennemeyer/Projekte/rails/activerecord/test/cases/ validations/uniqueness_validation_test.rb:67:in `test_validate_uniqueness_with_utf8_chars'      /Users/mhennemeyer/Projekte/rails/activesupport/lib/ active_support/testing/setup_and_teardown.rb:60:in `run']: Shouldn't be valid. <false> is not true.

The chars that are used in the title field are chinese 12345 (these are also used in the real code) if someone has problems getting them to show properly.

I have also opened a ticked with the attempt to get a specialized utf8 test in the test suite and remove the special chars from the basic test: #3536 Separate tests for validate uniqueness with utf characters - Ruby on Rails - rails Would be nice if someone could review it.

Could you run these tests and verify (or not) them so i can be sure that they are not somehow related to my environment? From activerecord folder:

$ rake test_mysql TEST=test/cases/validations/ uniqueness_validation_test.rb

Thanks in advance

Matthias Hennemeyer

Could you run these tests and verify (or not) them so i can be sure that they are not somehow related to my environment?

You need to make sure that you have your encoding and collation set to a unicode-friendly value rather than the default of latin1. I have it set to utf8_unicode_ci and it works fine.