validates_presence_of and a blank form...

Hey All,

I'm frustrated with validates_presence_of. I have a form, and I'm validating four fields using validates_presence_of..

It works fine, except that when the form comes back with the error messages, it is blank. If a user enters three of the four required fields and submits the form, they get back a blank form with an error message and have to re-enter everything.

It seems to me like there must be an easy way to fix this, otherwise v_p_o is a total joke.

I've googled my head off to no good effect. Can anyone offer advice?

Thanks, JB

One way to make this happen is to do a redirect in the controller after Model.save or Model.update_attributes rather than a render back to the new or edit action. Could that be your problem?

(If that's not clear, post the update method of the appropriate controller.)

HTH,

-Roy

To add to the previous post...make sure that you label you form correctly, for example: <% form_for(@person) do |f| %>   <%= f.error_messages %>

<p>     <%= f.label :name%><br />     <%= f.text_field :name %>   </p>   <p>     <%= f.submit "Create" %>   </p> <% end %>

in the code above, if the @person has a name, the text_field is then populated with that value. or what you could do is get the choice made by the user i.e.: <% selected_choice = @survey.get_choice_for_question(@question) %> end if it's not nil display it as follows: <% selected_choice_id = selected_choice.id unless selected_choice.nil? %>

(i have a random number of questions so i use a loop to display each one and get the appropriate answers and such so you have to adapt my code to what you have)

I had the same problem and this fixed it for me, so i hope it helps. if not, show us your code and we'll see how we can help.