validates_format_of .csv

Hello all, I'm trying to validate a uploaded file extension. I'm not using any special plugin other that fastercsv.

When I try to upload an incorrect file (say a ".doc"), I get this error message... "Error adding logs. (Unquoted fields do not allow \r or \n (line 2).). Please try again."

Below is my model.

-model- class Import < ActiveRecord::Base   validates_format_of :import, :with => /^.+\.(csv)$/,                       :message => 'A .csv file is required.' end

It should work but it doesn't.

Any help with this is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

JohnM

I think you try to parse the csv before saving the model to the db. Thats when validations would be run. You should catch any FasterCSV Exceptions and give a proper error message in the controller.

+1 on Mike's suggestion - otherwise, you'll get users RENAMING their .doc file to end with .csv and uploading it over and over... :slight_smile:

--Matt Jones

mike wrote:

I think you try to parse the csv before saving the model to the db. Thats when validations would be run. You should catch any FasterCSV Exceptions and give a proper error message in the controller.

Below is my model. Thank you.

JohnM -- Posted via http://www.ruby-forum.com/.

>

-- Von meinen Mobilger�t aus gesendet

Thanks for the advice.

I checked the controller and sure enough there's a 'rescue => exception' I parsed out the file extension then did a simple conditional for 'csv'

Here's my controller for anyone that falls into the same quagmire.

- Controller - def process_csv

file = params[:import][:file]     rowcount = 0

Import.transaction do       FasterCSV.parse(file,                       :headers => true,                       :header_converters => :symbol ) do |row|         Import.create!(row.to_hash)         rowcount += 1       end     end     # if successful then display, then redirect to index page     flash[:notice] = "Successfully added #{rowcount} project(s)."     redirect_to :action => :index

rescue => exception     file_name = params[:import]['file'].original_filename     file_parts = params[:import]['file'].original_filename.split('.')     ext = file_parts[1]

if ext != 'csv'       error = "CSV file is required"     else       error = ERB::Util.h(exception.to_s) # get the error and HTML escape it     end     # If an exception in thrown, the transaction rolls back and we end up in this     # rescue block

flash[:error] = "Error adding projects to Import table. (#{error}). Please try again. "

redirect_to :action => :new

end

Thanks again.

JohnM