Using will_paginate with arbitrary sql queries

Hi All, I have a situation where I have a task model, tag model and a link table task_tags.

In a particular view, I need to display a list of task that have a certain tags - For this, I'd need to run a query and get the results that would need to be paginated - so I cannot really call paginate on the Task model itself.

1. What is a good way to deal with this situation? 2. In general, how can I use will_paginate plugin on arbitrary sql queries.

Hi All, I have a situation where I have a task model, tag model and a link table task_tags.

In a particular view, I need to display a list of task that have a certain tags - For this, I'd need to run a query and get the results that would need to be paginated - so I cannot really call paginate on the Task model itself.

1. What is a good way to deal with this situation? 2. In general, how can I use will_paginate plugin on arbitrary sql queries.

There's sort of an example of this in the docs:

@entries = WillPaginate::Collection.create(1, 10) do |pager|   result = Post.find(:all, :limit => pager.per_page, :offset => pager.offset)   # inject the result array into the paginated collection:   pager.replace(result)

unless pager.total_entries     # the pager didn't manage to guess the total count, do it manually     pager.total_entries = Post.count   end end

replace Post.find :all with a method that performs your query, using the limit and offset passed to it and you should be fine. You may also need to set pager.total_entries

Fred

You also could use paginate_by_sql