Using same user credentials across multiple connected apps

Hi,

I have a requirement in my project, where i need to create multiple apps that need to be integrated. One of the apps would be used for authentication that uses Authlogic. I need a single sign-on solution, so that once a user is logged in he remains logged-in for all the other apps as well.

Now, the user_session being created in the auth app, is not accessible in the other apps. Is there a way i can share a user_session between multiple apps.

Here is some code i am using in the other apps: http://pastie.org/455710

If anyone has faced a similar issue, please point me to some possible solutions.

Regards.

Hi,

I have a requirement in my project, where i need to create multiple apps that need to be integrated. One of the apps would be used for authentication that uses Authlogic. I need a single sign-on solution, so that once a user is logged in he remains logged-in for all the other apps as well.

you can use something like Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting.

Fred

thanks for the link to this nice gem. but can i share the same session_id across multiple sub-domains on the same server, without using the above gem?

you can. If my memory is correct, the :session_domain option allows you to set the domain the session cookie is saved under. (this does of course assume that contents of the session will be meaningful to all the apps).

Fred

ok, i have the set the 2 apps to use the same session_domain, like this ActionController::CgiRequest::DEFAULT_SESSION_OPTIONS.update (:session_domain => '.localhost.com')

i am also using the same secret key across both apps, as cookies are found using that key. But still this does not work! Maybe its because i am using authlogic and it has its own way of finding the user in the current_session.

Check that the cookie that contains the session is actually being set under the right domain (and in development you'll need to fakeup some domains eg app1.mydomain.local, app2.mydomain.local).

Fred

i checked the cookies on my browser one is set under localhost.com and other under blog.localhost.com, i have set these in /etc/hosts. Also, :session_domain => ".localhost.com"

But there is one difference between the 2. localhost.com has 2 cookies(one of which is named user_credentials), while blog.localhost.com has just 1 cookie, whose name is same as the 1st cookie under localhost.com

Maybe authlogic sets it own cookies. I'd delve into authlogic and see how it decides which domain to use for its cookies.

Fred

Hi Sahil,

Were you able to figure out the solution to this problem? I've seen the same behavior but have not delved into the internals of authlogic.

Ravi.

Frederick Cheung wrote:

Hi, I've described SSO solution with authlogin in my blog (http://bit.ly/ajGym2). This post is in Russian, but you can use Google Translate or ask me :slight_smile:

Sahil Dave wrote:

Ooh, i've forgot to tell that there are one problem - this solution does not working in Opera browser, because Opera does not support session sharing for subdomains :frowning:

Alexey Poimtsev wrote: