Using production DB data locally

What is the best(easiest...) way to get all the data from a production DB, so I can throw it onto my development DB, and use it locally?

~Jeremy

What is the best(easiest...) way to get all the data from a production DB, so I can throw it onto my development DB, and use it locally?

If it's the same database type then just dump it out of production, copy the dump file to your development machine and import it.

If it's not the same database type, you might look into taps... taps | RubyGems.org | your community gem host

-philip

Philip Hallstrom wrote in post #962498:

If it's the same database type then just dump it out of production, copy the dump file to your development machine and import it.

If it's not the same database type, you might look into taps... taps | RubyGems.org | your community gem host

-philip

Sweet! Thanks for the link. That's pretty awesome.

Ok, so, I've never actually done a data dump or import before. Both my production, and development databases are using MySQL (the production being on a server). Is there a rake task that creates a SQL file? I know there's rake db:structure:dump, but I'm not sure if this actually will throw all the data into the SQL file, or just the overall structure of the DB like the schema. I also need to make sure that whatever command this is, doesn't just drop my production DB (Don't need a "github incident") lol.

Thanks for the help,

~Jeremy

-philip

Sweet! Thanks for the link. That's pretty awesome.

Ok, so, I've never actually done a data dump or import before. Both my production, and development databases are using MySQL (the production being on a server). Is there a rake task that creates a SQL file? I know there's rake db:structure:dump, but I'm not sure if this actually will throw all the data into the SQL file, or just the overall structure of the DB like the schema.

Just the structure...

I also need to make sure that whatever command this is, doesn't just drop my production DB (Don't need a "github incident") lol.

Read up on mysqldump.

-philip

Read up on mysqldump.

-philip

Awesome, that would be what I'm looking for. Thanks man!

Here is the syntax for export and import: http://bparanj.blogspot.com/2007/06/how-to-export-data-from-one-database.html