using object.find() in a loop not returning an array

I'm running a loop (illustrated below) that retrieves records from a table based on an id that might be different with each iteration. The loop uses the array scrns (composed of IDs) to find the related records in the Screens table. I'm attempting to store the returned results in an instance variable so I can use that data in a view. However, this code simply is overwriting the instance variable with each iteration. Why? I want to end up with an array or hash in the instance var so I can iterate through it in my view to display.

***CODE**** for scr in scrns   @scrs = Screen.find(:all, :conditions => [ "id = ?", scr.screen_id ]) end ***CODE****

I've tried modifying the statement above in multiple ways:

***CODE**** @scrs << Screen.find( blah blah

@scrs += Screen.find( blah blah

Screen.find( blah blah).collect blah ***CODE****

Nothing is working. Any ideas?

I'm running a loop (illustrated below) that retrieves records from a table based on an id that might be different with each iteration. The loop uses the array scrns (composed of IDs) to find the related
records in the Screens table. I'm attempting to store the returned results in an instance variable so I can use that data in a view. However, this code simply is overwriting the instance variable with each iteration. Why? I want to end up with an array or hash in the instance var so I can iterate through it in my view to display.

***CODE**** for scr in scrns @scrs = Screen.find(:all, :conditions => [ "id = ?", scr.screen_id ]) end ***CODE****

This is all pretty much basic ruby. You'll save yourself a lot of
frustration by reading up on this sort of stuff and getting well
acquainted with ruby itself.

would work if you initially set @scrs to

would also work if you initially set @scrs to , but wouldn't do the
same thing as <<. (I'm guessing the previous version does what you
actually want)

Screen.find( blah blah).collect blah

scrns.collect {|scr| Screen.find :all, :conditions =>[ "id = ?",
scr.screen_id ])

Fred

Frederick Cheung wrote:

***CODE**** for scr in scrns @scrs = Screen.find(:all, :conditions => [ "id = ?", scr.screen_id ]) end ***CODE****

This is all pretty much basic ruby. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration by reading up on this sort of stuff and getting well acquainted with ruby itself.

would also work if you initially set @scrs to , but wouldn't do the same thing as <<. (I'm guessing the previous version does what you actually want)

scrns.collect {|scr| Screen.find :all, :conditions =>[ "id = ?", scr.screen_id ])

Fred

Thanks Fred,

Good to know I'm not going crazy. I had tried your first suggestion last night, but I've apparently not been looking carefully enough at my error. My error is in how I'm attempting to access the values in the view. However treating @scrs as an array and then iterating through it is still returning me a error of the following:

***CODE*** <% for scrs in @scrs %>   <tr>     <td><%= scrs.id %></td>     <td><%= scrs.title %></td>   </tr> <% end %>

***ERROR*** undefined method `title' for [#<Screen id: 2, title: "Test Screen Title">]:Array

I'm assuming I have an array @scrs which contains a hash for each record that was stored in each array indice. So how would I go about accessing a hash key value pair from within an array?

scrs['title'] maybe? OR scrs[:title]

Thanks again for your help.

Nevermind I figured it out.

Thanks again for the help Fred.

Frederick Cheung wrote:

This is all pretty much basic ruby. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration by reading up on this sort of stuff and getting well acquainted with ruby itself.

If scrns looks something like [ 123, 456, 987, 534 ], that is, a simple array of integers, then you just need to say:

@scrs = Screen.find(scrns)

would also work if you initially set @scrs to , but wouldn't do the same thing as <<. (I'm guessing the previous version does what you actually want)

scrns.collect {|scr| Screen.find :all, :conditions =>[ "id = ?", scr.screen_id ])

Fred

Thanks Fred,

Good to know I'm not going crazy. I had tried your first suggestion last night, but I've apparently not been looking carefully enough at my error. My error is in how I'm attempting to access the values in the view. However treating @scrs as an array and then iterating through it is still returning me a error of the following:

***CODE*** <% for scrs in @scrs %> <tr>    <td><%= scrs.id %></td>    <td><%= scrs.title %></td> </tr> <% end %>

***ERROR*** undefined method `title' for [#<Screen id: 2, title: "Test Screen Title">]:Array

I'm assuming I have an array @scrs which contains a hash for each record that was stored in each array indice. So how would I go about accessing a hash key value pair from within an array?

scrs['title'] maybe? OR scrs[:title]

Thanks again for your help.

I think you just need to try my first suggestion (if the assumption is accurate).

Since find(:all, ...) is going to return something that behaves like an array, you probably need to flatten the results:

<% for scrn in @scrs.flatten %>    <tr>      <td><%= scrn.id %></td>      <td><%= scrn.title %></td>    </tr> <% end %>

-Rob

Rob Biedenharn http://agileconsultingllc.com Rob@AgileConsultingLLC.com