Using Meta Data in a database field in a View

Hello...

Given a database with records like the following Table: AuditLog Fields: ID | USERID | TYPE | TIME | DATA

id:1, userId:1, type:PHOTO, time:2008-10-15 12:00:00, data: {photo_id:2089, photoname:"A trip to the beach"}

Lets say the database had 50 records, with Rails How can I loop through the results as follows:

<ul>   <li> id, user_id, data.photoID, data.PhotoName</li> </ul>

The main thing I don't get is how to extract what's inside the data column. Example given: @mystuff = AuditLog.all How to display something like mystuff.data.photo_id

Thanks

Looks like I'm storing data correctly, I don't want DATA to be a JSON object as it won't be created via JavaScript but an Observer on certain models after_create etc...

What do you think about using YAML? I was told Marshal was the way to go but after doing some google searches I found, there isn't a lot of info on Marshal and it sounds like the community is against it...

That being said, in sum:

1. What is the best way to store unsecured data in the data column 2. How to insert and extract from the database?

Thank you

nobosh wrote:

Looks like I'm storing data correctly, I don't want DATA to be a JSON object as it won't be created via JavaScript but an Observer on certain models after_create etc...

What do you think about using YAML? I was told Marshal was the way to go but after doing some google searches I found, there isn't a lot of info on Marshal and it sounds like the community is against it...

That being said, in sum:

1. What is the best way to store unsecured data in the data column

Use serialize.

2. How to insert and extract from the database?

Use serialize.

Or better yet, don't. Take the time to design a schema that actually has the fields you need. If you're doing a lot of stuff with flexible attributes, a non-SQL database such as MongoDB or CouchDB may be a better fit.

Thank you

Best,