Using Match with Regexp-Do not quite understand the formula

Hi Ruby on Rails community!

I am trying to write a program that uses the .match command to find out if a string contains a certain word-then using that information write a conditional statement. The issue I am running into is that I am self teaching myself and do not really know how to properly use this new found str. method. Right now this is what my code looks like

def your_plans(activity) #want to use a method for this one if /activity/.match("movie") #this is where I get it wrong, I am not sure if this is the proper way to present the match, and if i am #putting the argument in the correct position. puts "I love movies too!" else puts "why didn't you see a movie?" end end

puts your_plans("Yesterday, I went to go see a movie")

it is super basic, as I am just a starter. I think the rest of my code is correct, i just cant figure out the match method. If anyone has some pointers on why certain pieces go where that would be really helpful. I have been using this site to look up and learn methods.

thanks!

I am trying to write a program that uses the .match command to find out if a string contains a certain word-then using that information write a conditional statement. The issue I am running into is that I am self teaching myself and do not really know how to properly use this new found str. method. Right now this is what my code looks like

def your_plans(activity) #want to use a method for this one if /activity/.match("movie")

Take the slashes off of activity, and this should just work.

irb 1.9.3p429 :001 > "i love movies".match("movie") => #<MatchData "movie"> 1.9.3p429 :002 > "i love movies".match("walrus") => nil 1.9.3p429 :003 >

#this is where I get it wrong, I am not sure if this is the proper way to present the match, and if i am #putting the argument in the correct position. puts "I love movies too!" else puts "why didn't you see a movie?" end end

puts your_plans("Yesterday, I went to go see a movie")

it is super basic, as I am just a starter. I think the rest of my code is correct, i just cant figure out the match method. If anyone has some pointers on why certain pieces go where that would be really helpful. I have been using this site to look up and learn methods. Class: String (Ruby 1.9.3)

Hope this helps,

Walter

Walter Davis wrote in post #1119949:

def your_plans(activity) #want to use a method for this one if /activity/.match("movie")

irb 1.9.3p429 :001 > "i love movies".match("movie") => #<MatchData "movie"> 1.9.3p429 :002 > "i love movies".match("walrus") => nil 1.9.3p429 :003 >

it is super basic, as I am just a starter. I think the rest of my code is correct, i just cant figure out the match method. If anyone has some pointers on why certain pieces go where that would be really helpful. I have been using this site to look up and learn methods. Class: String (Ruby 1.9.3)

Hope this helps,

Walter

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your quick reply. I removed the "/" around activity, but when i put everything in my code. I am receiving a syntex error.

def welcome(activity) if activity.match("movies") puts "Yes, Movies are awesome!" else puts "why don't you like movies?" end end puts activity("I like going to movies")

What i am looking to get in the output is either a "Yes, Movies are awesome" if .match finds "movies", or "why don't you like movies?" if .match is unable to find movies in the statement. I am thinking it still has to do with me not setting up the argument and .match correctly.

thanks, Alex

Walter Davis wrote in post #1119949:

Hope this helps,

Walter

Hi Walter,

Thanks for your quick reply. I removed the "/" around activity, but when i put everything in my code. I am receiving a syntex error.

def welcome(activity) if activity.match("movies") puts "Yes, Movies are awesome!" else puts "why don't you like movies?" end end puts activity("I like going to movies")

What i am looking to get in the output is either a "Yes, Movies are awesome" if .match finds "movies", or "why don't you like movies?" if .match is unable to find movies in the statement. I am thinking it still has to do with me not setting up the argument and .match correctly.

thanks, Alex

Your method is called welcome(), but you are calling activity(). Make the last line read as this:

puts welcome("I like going to movies")

and you will see the output you desire.

Walter

Walter Davis wrote in post #1119974: