using associations in form helpers

I've got a bunch of form fields that are mostly normal:

<%= text_field 'car', 'maker', :size => 40 %> <%= text_field 'car', 'owner', :size => 40 %> <%= text_field 'car', 'color', :size => 40 %>

All these attributes are in the cars table. But one of the fields, 'price', is stored in a different table:

<%= text_field 'car', 'price', :size => 40 %>

'price' is an attribute of the financials table. How can I have the form submission update the field in this second table? I tried changing the param name to this:

<%= text_field 'car[financials]', 'price', :size => 40 %>

...but that didn't work. I know this is weird, but the client has it this way due to legacy reasons, and I can't change the schema right now. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks! -Jason

PS: tables and attributes have been changed to protect the innocent.

This is essentially the approach I am using at the moment, but I am convinced it can be done with the right text_field names if I could only work it out!

Something like: CarController --- def update   if params[:car] # Make sure the form has been submitted     begin # Make sure the car exists       @car = Car.find(params[:id])     rescue       flash[:notice] = "Car not found"       redirect_to :action => "index"and return # Stop script     end   if @car.update_attributes(params[:car])     flash[:notice] = "Car details updated"     redirect_to :action => "edit_car", :id => @car.id and return # Stop processing the script.   else     flash[:warning] = "Car not saved"     redirect_to :action => "edit_car", :id => @car.id   end end

view: <%= text_field 'car', 'maker', :size => 40 %> <%= text_field 'car', 'owner', :size => 40 %> <%= text_field 'car', 'color', :size => 40 %> <%= text_field 'car.financial', 'price', :size => 40 %> # This is the bit I have not worked out yet. It may not be possible.

Can anyone tell me if this is possible and what the text_field might look like?