Using Ajax in Rails 2.1

I hate to ask, but can some one help me out on this one? I've made a small app in which users login, and once logged in they type their names in to a textbox, submit it, and once submitted it says "Hello and Welcome <their name>". For authentication I used acts_as_authenticated. The app works except for the adding names feature. Can you help me? This is the code that i put, but I can't get the submitted name to appear next to "Hello and Welcome" so all instead of seeing "Hello and Welcome <name>", it shows Hello and Welcome. Here's the code for my view

<html>   <head>     <title> My little login APP!</title>     <%= javascript_include_tag :defaults %>   </head>   <body>     <h1>My little login APP!</h1>

<%= error_messages_for :user %>     <% form_for :name do |f| %>

<%= form_remote_tag (:update => "name",                         :url => { :action => :add_item},                         :position => "top") %>

<p>Please submit your name:</p>     <%= text_field_tag :newitem %>     <%= submit_tag "Submit" %>

<ul id="name">       <p><h3>Hello and Welcome!</p></h3>      </ul>

<hr>     </hr>

<p><b><i><%= current_user.login %></p></b></i>     <p><a href="account/login"><%= submit_tag 'Logout' %></a></p>     <% end %>   </body> </html>

That's because you forgot to surround fields that need to be submitted in ajax call in do...end block. Also if i remember correctly html doesn't allow nesting forms, so your code should be rewritten like this: <% form_remote_tag (:update => "name",                         :url => { :action => :add_item},                         :position => "top") do %>

<p>Please submit your name:</p>     <%= text_field_tag :newitem %>     <%= submit_tag "Submit" %> <% end %>

<% form_for :name do |f| %>   <ul id="name">       <p><h3>Hello and Welcome!</p></h3>      </ul>

<hr>     </hr>

<p><b><i><%= current_user.login %></p></b></i>     <p><a href="account/login"><%= submit_tag 'Logout' %></a></p> <% end %>

Notice do...end near remote form tag. Also your html is not really proper. You should first close tags that were opened last. So instead of <p><h3>Hello and Welcome!</p></h3> you should write <p><h3>Hello and Welcome!</h3></p>. Also there's no need to use h3 and p tags together since h3 is a paragraph header. And ul should be used together with li. I believe in your case div would be enough.

The interesting bit is probably what's in your controller. Fred