Using a database record as a Find condition

I have a photos model which has a field for a gallery title, I have a gallery controller which currently shows all photos that don't have an empty gallery title field.

I want to have on my gallery page a photo from each gallery that has a unique title, which would link to 'gallery/gallery-title', a page for gallery. (ie say I set one gallery title to 2009 and another to 2010 then I'd have 2 seperate galleries)

I've been reading/searching but I don't know how to implement this. How do I use the gallery titles to find and sort the photos??

the batman wrote:

I have a photos model which has a field for a gallery title, I have a gallery controller which currently shows all photos that don't have an empty gallery title field.

This is an unnormalized schema, since the gallery title repeats in each record that belongs to the same gallery. Unnormalized schemas are harder to maintain and deal with, so what you want to ultimately do is create a separate galleries table (and Gallery model), associated by means of foreign keys.

I want to have on my gallery page a photo from each gallery that has a unique title, which would link to 'gallery/gallery-title', a page for gallery. (ie say I set one gallery title to 2009 and another to 2010 then I'd have 2 seperate galleries)

I've been reading/searching but I don't know how to implement this. How do I use the gallery titles to find and sort the photos??

Look at find_by_* and the :order option. This is fairly basic ActiveRecord stuff, so I'd recommend reviewing the ActiveRecord::Base docs.

Best,