user_id being saved as NULL... but why?

Hello there,

I have a mini blog in which stores a few bits of info:

- title - body - created on - user_id

If you're logged in, you can enter a comment too. this stores:

- body - blogpost_id - user_id

however. For some reason, the user id when the blog is created is stored. It is not stored when a user adds a comment, and I wondered if anyone can spot what i ave missed?

Actions from the Blogpost controller:

def new     @user = User.find(session[:user_id])     #@blogpost = Blogpost.new      @blogpost = Blogpost.create(:body => params[:body], :user_id => session[:user_id])

@cat = Category.find(:all)     respond_to do |format|       format.html # new.html.erb       format.xml { render :xml => @blogpost }     end   end

def create     @user = User.find(session[:user_id])     @blogpost = Blogpost.new(params[:blogpost])     #@blogpost.category_id = (params[:category])

respond_to do |format|       if @blogpost.save         flash[:notice] = 'Blogpost was successfully created.'         format.html { redirect_to(@blogpost) }         format.xml { render :xml => @blogpost, :status => :created, :location => @blogpost }       else         format.html { render :action => "new" }         format.xml { render :xml => @blogpost.errors, :status => :unprocessable_entity }       end     end   end

And then the comment: (this is also in the same controller)

def comment     @user = User.find(session[:user_id])     @blogpost = Blogpost.new     @blogpost = Blogpost.create(:body => params[:body], :user_id => session[:user_id])

Blogpost.find(params[:id]).comments.create(params[:comment])

flash[:notice] = "Added your comment"

redirect_to :action => "show", :id => params[:id]

end

THe coment does get stored to the database, but the user_id remains NULL.

Any ideas?

thanks for reading.

This sounds like you don't have auto-increment turned on, on the specific database table. Check that first? -j

Unless user_id was part of the fields in params[:comment] you don't seem to be setting the user id on the comment anywhere.

Fred

Hello,

Good point - I have tried to amend the code like below, but i get errors:

ORIGINAL CODE: Blogpost.find(params[:id]).comments.create(params[:comment])

AMENDED CODE 1: Blogpost.find(params[:id, :user_id]).comments.create(params[:comment]) THis returns error: wrong number of arguments (2 for 1)

AMENDED CODE 2: Blogpost.find(params[:id]).comments.create(params[:comment,:user_id])

THis also returns error: wrong number of arguments (2 for 1)

I'm sure it's quite simple, but can't put my finger on it.. Any ideas what needs to change?

Many Thanks

You either need to merge your hash of params from the form with the user_id you want to set or you need to set the user_id on the comment afterwards.

Fred