Use a value from a different model

Hello, I cannot find the issue and it drives me crazy :frowning:

let's simplify. I have 2 models: saving and purchase_type a *saving* corresponds to a *purchase_type* e.g. new sourcing or renegotiation a saving has exactly one purchase_type and a purchase_type has many savings.

when I try to display the list of savings and their purchase type (name, not Id), i get the dreaded "You have a nil object when you didn't expect it!".

The weirdest thing is that it works for category and subcategory, but not for purchase type. Is this a camel casing issue? All the relevant code is below

I'm getting mad, please help :slight_smile:

Thanks, P.

Here's the index.rhtml (extracts -- RoR tells me the issue is on the line with *****):   <% @saving.each do |s|%>     <tr>       <td><%=s.id%></td>       <td><%=s.country.name%></td>       <td><%=s.country_reference%></td>       <td><%=s.supplier%></td>       <td><%=s.buyer%></td>       <td><%=s.category.name%></td>       <td><%=s.subcategory.name%></td> ***** <td><%=s.purchaseType.name %></td>

the controller (saving_controller):

class SavingController < ApplicationController   def index     @category = Category.find(:all).collect {|c| [ c.name, c.id ] }     @subcategory = Subcategory.find(:all).collect {|c| [ c.name, c.id ] }     @purchaseType = PurchaseType.find(:all).collect {|c| [ c.name, c.id ] }

sort_order = params[:sort_by]     sort_order ||= 'id' # for default sort     @saving = Saving.search(params[:search], params[:page], sort_order)   end end

the saving model (saving - table name = savings):

class Saving < ActiveRecord::Base   validates_presence_of :supplier,               :a_saving,               :a_spend,               :country_id,               :category_id,               :subcategory_id,               :buyer,               :purchaseType_id,

validates_numericality_of :a_saving, :a_spend

belongs_to :category   belongs_to :purchaseType   belongs_to :subcategory

def self.search(search, page, sort_order)     search='%' if search=='' || search=='Type your search term'     paginate :page => page,           :conditions => ['supplier like ?',"%#{search}%"],           :order => sort_order   end

end

the purchase_type model (model name = PurchaseType -table name = purchase_types):

class PurchaseType < ActiveRecord::Base   validates_presence_of :name   has_many :saving end

the controller (saving_controller):

class SavingController < ApplicationController

s/b SavingsController

class PurchaseType < ActiveRecord::Base

has\_many :saving

s/b has_many :savings

Try changing that and let us know what happens :slight_smile:

Hi, thanks hassan for the quick reply. I applied your suggestions + had to change a few other things (folder name for the views, some routes...) but that didn't help either :frowning:

any other idea?

thanks P.

Hi, thanks hassan for the quick reply. I applied your suggestions + had to change a few other things (folder name for the views, some routes...) but that didn't help either :frowning:

it should also be belongs_to :purchase_type rather than purchaseType but I don't think that will actually make a difference (and if you made that change you would have to rename the column to purchase_type_id). Have you checked that you don't simply have bad data in your database (ie a saving with a purchaseType_id for which there is no corresponding PurchaseType ?

Fred

Hi, no crappy data.

I really think i have a normalization issue :frowning: I'll try to change everything and see how it goes.

thanks 8 P.

Hi, i finally renamed everything (removed the mixed underscores / camel casing) and it works.

thanks, P.