uploading large files

I have built a rails web application that requires me to upload several large files (200+mb). Unfortunately, I have not been successful in doing so with rails so I tried it through ftp, but was still not successful. It says that the server dropped the connection after about 80 mb had been loaded. I'm using media temple's grid server.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I'm not getting much response from media temple.

I have over 50 files ranging anywhere from 30 mb to 300 to upload. What is the best way to do this? Is there certain server settings that would make this possible? Do I need to switch servers? Is there a third party that would be advantageous to use?

Please advise. thank you.

I have built a rails web application that requires me to upload several large files (200+mb). Unfortunately, I have not been successful in doing so with rails so I tried it through ftp, but was still not successful. It says that the server dropped the connection after about 80 mb had been loaded. I’m using media temple’s grid server.

FTP is resumable. Just resume uploading your files. If they won’t resume, then mt has measures in place to prevent you from doing so and it is time to find a new host.

Does anyone know what the problem might be? I’m not getting much response from media temple.

Shared cheap hosting, always a joy.

I have over 50 files ranging anywhere from 30 mb to 300 to upload. What is the best way to do this? Is there certain server settings that would make this possible? Do I need to switch servers? Is there a third party that would be advantageous to use?

As has been told twice (by another poster and myself): if you want to serve files fast, use Amazon S3 and you’ll pay for bandwidth used. This means, especially with video, you pay for what your customers download and you can easily work out how to make a decent margin on that. If you don’t feel like using S3, you’d better look to shell out some decent money and get a decent VPS or even a dedicated server. There are a few hosting companies out there that are recommended time after time: slicehost, rimuhosting, engineyard, …

Best regards

Peter De Berdt