updating specific div for ajax

I'm trying to update a specific div section by trying to add some embedded ruby code below. It's not liking it though. You see below i'm trying to replace >>> :update => "msg_box>", <<< with >>> :update => "msg_box_<%= item.id %>", <<< but it's bad syntax or something. How can I do this?

Here's my little Ruby on Rails webpage that uses Ajax:

<% for item in @my_items %> <html>   <head>     <title>Ajax Demo</title>     <%= javascript_include_tag "prototype" %>   </head>   <body>     <div id="msg_box">       <%= link_to_remote( "Item Details", ### normally its :update => "msg_box>",                          :update => "msg_box_<%= item.id %>", ### you see in the line above i'm trying to update the div with id "msg_box_1" for example...                          :url =>{ :action => :get_details }) %>     </div>   </body> </html> <% end %>

<<<<<

Thanks for reading.

--Dan W.

Dan W. wrote:

I'm trying to update a specific div section by trying to add some embedded ruby code below. It's not liking it though. You see below i'm trying to replace >>> :update => "msg_box>", <<< with >>> :update => "msg_box_<%= item.id %>", <<< but it's bad syntax or something. How can I do this?

I do that so often I need to DRY up my statements for it. To match the rest of Rails, and borrow its methods, I'd guess the system should be 'msg_box[1]'. But that's not your problem.

<div id="msg_box">

<%= link_to_remote( "Item Details", ### normally its :update => "msg_box>",                         :update => "msg_box_<%= item.id %>",

You forgot to add the actual id to the DIV's id itself. It still says 'msg_box'.

This was a comment:

### normally its :update => "msg_box>",

<<<

I'm trying to have a link update a specific div box. for example, the first "Item Details" link would update the div box that I have appended the item.id to for targeting purposes.